Connecting through 3 pin plug points

Associate
Sending internet connectivity through the electrical points in the house.

Has any one tried this? What equipment did you use and how successful is was it? Would you recommend it?

Folk

Soldato
If you're a true geek you'd do what i'm doing now.
Wire up the house/flat/whereever you are with faceplates and make it look like a professional office :cool:

Associate
Now, he may have been watching the sci-fi channel again but I'm sure he is referring to homeplug or whatever it's called, using the electrical sockets in your home as a network.

Although I've not tried it myself I've heard that it works ok, but for the cost of the adapters you could probably sort yourself out with a wireless setup or as eXSBass said, wire up your house with proper faceplates etc.

Associate
Kroegen said:
Its rubbish, fill stop :p . Just buy a wireless router and your sorted.

Not terribly helpful. I live in an old victorian house with very thick walls and a couple of extensions, and so for the wireless signal to get from the study to my room it has to go diagonally (therefor travel further) through 2 walls and half a chimney at best. I'd have to add two repeaters to bypass any more walls, and so these homeplug kits look like my best solution. I hold my weak wireless signal responsible for my connection dropping out for a couple of seconds every 10 minutes, which kicks me from WoW. Not too good, so may be buying this in the future.

On a more helpful note, googling homeplug throws up a good few reviews, many quite positive, although the speed seems to be poor. As long as it's as fast as my internet connection, I don't mind too much.

Fluff_eei

Associate
Phnom_Penh said:
I'll have it :p.
Ha! Not mine, my parents', but yeah, it sucks for wireless. A homeplug twin set is looking to be around £70, competitor so can't say where, but that's the same as 2 wireless access points so could be worse, and I hope *touch wood" they are more reliable. Will go get some soon, and infact may start a thread seeing if people have good/bad experiences.

Fluff_eei

Soldato
Well the best way to do networking it to take up the floor boards, and run them under the floors on each floor, and then run a cable between the floors where it's easiest to, like through a hole that's got a pipe going down it. You can then put ap's in rooms you want them, out of the way.

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Well the best way to do networking it to take up the floor boards, and run them under the floors on each floor, and then run a cable between the floors where it's easiest to, like through a hole that's got a pipe going down it. You can then put ap's in rooms you want them, out of the way.

And who can

a) be bothered to lift carpets and floor boards and more importantly
b) get permission from girlfriend / wife / parents to do so? ;)

The next-generation of HomePlug standard, called HomePlug AV is rated at 200Mbps. There's also a number of companies (NetGear is one) that offer wireless APs / Homeplug combo units which is a handy thing.

I want to move my "server" out into the garage. The signal from my firewall/AP at the front of the house isn't reliable enough without having to faff around with a repeater. I'm certainly CBA to cable it, so I plan to try a Homeplug AV set-up and see how it performs.

Soldato
#Chri5# said:
And who can

a) be bothered to lift carpets and floor boards and more importantly
b) get permission from girlfriend / wife / parents to do so? ;)

The next-generation of HomePlug standard, called HomePlug AV is rated at 200Mbps. There's also a number of companies (NetGear is one) that offer wireless APs / Homeplug combo units which is a handy thing.

I want to move my "server" out into the garage. The signal from my firewall/AP at the front of the house isn't reliable enough without having to faff around with a repeater. I'm certainly CBA to cable it, so I plan to try a Homeplug AV set-up and see how it performs.
a. me
b. me, my dad even helped me do it....

Only problem with homeplug is that, 1. it's bloody expensive. 2. it is but glorified wireless, so your paying a hell of a lot more for something that isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom