• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe releases at B-2 Stepping

Associate
easyrider said:
After miilions of $ spent in making the chips ... doubt INTEL would be daft enough to release a media testing chip on the pc media reviewers unless it would impress.

and then weeks later reform the chip at the last min due to problems.lmao
Well setup a Raid 5 on your 975X and see if cpu utilization goes through the roof.
Thats what the new stepping seems to be addressing.

You might argue that you'll never use an onboard Raid 5, thats fine, but you'll also agree that its still an issue that does need fixing.

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818

Soldato
Who cares about G965, thats the one with integrated intel graphics. The regular chipset is P965, and while that chipset is still being 'improved' through later steppings, I think the current stepping is stable and quick enough. So there should be motherboards.

Anyway there is always 975X chipset boards.

Soldato
Raid5 doesnt need 4 disks, I wonder if its just a quirk, be interested to see how it performs with a 3 disk raid5.

That said, Raid5's always been processor intensive, its far more complex than raid0's. Wondering if the inquirer is just trying to damp down intels big release.

Raid0 just splits the data between drives, but raid5 doesnt do that, it writes the data across 66% of the disk space, and then uses the remaining 33% of the array to store a complex calculated checksum, which it can use to regenerate the missing data should 1 drive fail.

More disks in the array, means more thirst for data, especially if they used very quick drives like the Seagate 7200.10's. That huge thirst for data would put a massive strain on the CPU trying to calculate the checksums. Not sure if the chipsets 'software' raid can make use of dual cores, but it seems fairly unlikely to me that both cores would be loaded to max.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the 'faulty' chips can overclock upto 5ghz, does intel really mean the later chips will overclock more because I seriously doubt that.

They probably have altered something or other but it wont bother most of us. I cant afford an ES anyway so its not important to me anyway.

This is the company that thought we'd all stop buying a pc that didnt have intel inside stickers on it.

Further, some of the manufacturers noticed that the released Intel P965 chipset has got the expected performance from Fast Memory Access technology, performing the same as i975X with DDR2 800. Intel has promised to fix the problem in the next P965 C-2 Stepping, and is expected to release in late July.

Not very readable there, the p965 is slower with high speed memory then it should be ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I kinda read that, as the 965 is accidently shipping with some enhanced memory speed system from the 975 enabled, a bit like the 865 had PAT, but it was disabled.

I read that as Intel would 'disable' the enhancement feature, as with it, whats the difference between the high end 975, and the mainstream 965. (apart from the number of PCI express channels)

Soldato
easyrider said:
Please....they will change B1 to B2 18 days before release? lmao :D
1) Could be a really simple problem with a solution that is scientifically sound and thus no testing needed etc etc

2) Doubt they would say "yeah we have a problem.... solution? eh.... not a clue!" ;)

Soldato
Corasik said:
I kinda read that, as the 965 is accidently shipping with some enhanced memory speed system from the 975 enabled, a bit like the 865 had PAT, but it was disabled.

I read that as Intel would 'disable' the enhancement feature, as with it, whats the difference between the high end 975, and the mainstream 965. (apart from the number of PCI express channels)

I read it that way too really but then they promise to 'fix' the problem :confused:

Associate
it could be to support the new 985 chipset next year...I was told recently that early ES conroes will support only 965 and 975 chipsets...

Back
Top Bottom