Conroe woes

Soldato
Not Nforce 590 afaik, there may be a few suprises come friday when Conroe launches however. I've been checking out anandtech everyday to see if their full review's up, they seemed very excited about it but are under NDA.

Associate
Arthalen said:
Get the DFI, you can always get an extra Serial ATA Raid card. Do you actually use more than 4 SATA Drives though ?!

Yes, 2 for my raid 0, 2 for my raid 1 and 2 for general storage etc :p

Might wait for the lanparty dfi if its around soon.

Associate
Thanks! Well given the situation of no motherboards unless you are in a position to update the bios on an old one, I think it'll be best to hold off a bit and see what develops. Guess the time is not yet right to move from AMD.

Associate
I`m leaning towards the DFI board at the moment as i will be OCing on air only and would be VERY happy with 3.5 Ghz (2.2 ghz P4 currently :eek: ).

I`m still going to wait a few days and hopefully get a review of various boards when the NDA is lifted. I was hoping to save on postage and get everything delivered at the same time, but i`d rather buy the right board and buy it a few weeks late (even if i have to stare a my conroe box and wonder what its like)

Why didnt one company release a board without fault?? If there wasnt these smallish issues on these boards they would have near 100% of the sales.....

Last edited:
Associate
Jay_t said:
Yes, 2 for my raid 0, 2 for my raid 1 and 2 for general storage etc :p

Might wait for the lanparty dfi if its around soon.

Owch. **Looks at pitiful single 160GB Drive in own machine**

Thats some serious storage you have there. How much total ?

Caporegime
Gotta be the ASrock conroeXFIRE-eSATA2 at £55 if you want a stop gap mobo.

Unfortuantly it has no overclocking options.....Maddness has one,

If it did it would be a great mobo to get oneself into the conroe speed wagon lol! :D

Associate
Arcane said:
:D storage envy, that's a new one on me.

Welp, when I got the drive it was twice as large as any rive I've before.

Partitioned it 40/40/80 - Installed XP-32bit on a 40, XP-64bit on a 40, and the 80 was a generic storage (redirected my documents folder) for all my music, images, downloads.

Unfortunately, I now have 60GB worth of music, I have WoW, Guild Wars, HL2 and various other games on the initial 40GB partition and basically, I'm running out of storage, lol!

When some tells you they have 4x300Gb hd's ..... it tends to sink you a little bit lol.

Really tempted to get some NAS for my home network, and move my music onto that.

Soldato
Jay_t said:
No, you have to flash to the latest bios to get conroe support. See OCUK's description of this board for details.

No Im talking about the P5B not the P5W.. it says you have to flash the P5W to get conroe but not the P5B as it hasnt been released yet.

Associate
Sorry to jack the thread a bit but what would Be the best conroe motherboard for around £90 ? , looking to pair it with a E6300 and will be over-clocking.

Associate
Ender said:
Sorry to jack the thread a bit but what would Be the best conroe motherboard for around £90 ? , looking to pair it with a E6300 and will be over-clocking.

There's nothing in that budget that I am aware of other than the Asrock or Intel DP965LT. As for overclocking, neither of them will be "great"

There's also the Asus P5VD2-MX but that has a VIA chipset so you should avoid that mobo.

Associate
easyrider said:
Gotta be the ASrock conroeXFIRE-eSATA2 at £55 if you want a stop gap mobo.

Unfortuantly it has no overclocking options.....Maddness has one,

If it did it would be a great mobo to get oneself into the conroe speed wagon lol! :D

Would this board be good value for someone who does not plan on overclocking?

I.E. it's an Ok value board?

Back
Top Bottom