• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe

Soldato
Since last year I've been wanting to go into AMD.
Finally saved up the money to build a system from base up and Intel comes up with something Good. Sorry AMD, maybe next time.

Conroe, here I come!

Soldato
James Bond said:
Yeah, cant wait for these to be released. My old P4 3.06 ghz has served me well but its nearly time for an upgrade ;)

Running a P4 2.2a here atm :D

Think its time for an upgrade. I hope the performance difference is gonig to notciable.

E6600 Conroe, mobo, 2x 1GB LL DRR2 and a Custom Phaser coming here :cool:

Soldato
Corasik said:
Pentium D 940 = Conroe E6400 2.13Ghz, 2meg cache ($241)

I hope this chip has good overclocking potential...:) if it does its mine.

prices on DDR2 mem better come down too please!

btw...whats the estimated release date?

Last edited:
Soldato
All Conroe's look to have good OC Potential. Talk of the Conroe XE (2.93GHz, 4MB L2, 1066MHz FSB, Unlocked Multi's) hitting 4GHz on air :eek: :D

Would really like to see that...

June is the release date I think. Thats for these Models I believe:

E6300 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
E6400 (2.13GHz, 2MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
E6600 (2.40GHz, 4MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
E6700 (2.67GHz, 4MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)

Associate
Dr Jones said:
Since last year I've been wanting to go into AMD.
Finally saved up the money to build a system from base up and Intel comes up with something Good. Sorry AMD, maybe next time.

Conroe, here I come!

Same here.

Associate
heh... will probably be banished to whence i came for this, but not really all that interested in Conroe. Only just got myself a x2 3800, so gonna leave this and buy whatever it is that AMD will release to spank Intels ass with in six months to a years time.

Be nice to know what real-world difference Conroe will make though... benchies are good n all, but what gaming/encoding features will it improve? not saying it wont, thats a genuine question to what it will improve for the price, if it will just load 'farcry' that little bit quicker then i cant see the point tbh

Let the stoning commence.... :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Soldato
/throws stone

I'm going to get one as soon as I can afford it. Judging on the Folding@Home performance of my Pentium Mobile versus my other Intel and AMD boxes I think that these Intel chips will be the performance leaders for some time.

Has anybody seen any pricing on Woodcrest chips or duallie boards?

Caporegime
Foehammer2003 said:
heh... will probably be banished to whence i came for this, but not really all that interested in Conroe. Only just got myself a x2 3800, so gonna leave this and buy whatever it is that AMD will release to spank Intels ass with in six months to a years time.

Be nice to know what real-world difference Conroe will make though... benchies are good n all, but what gaming/encoding features will it improve? not saying it wont, thats a genuine question to what it will improve for the price, if it will just load 'farcry' that little bit quicker then i cant see the point tbh

Let the stoning commence.... :rolleyes:

Cpus dont affect loading time, they affect the framerate in games.

And the conroe 2.66ghz owned the amd fx-60/X2 overclocked by 20% minimum in the benchmarks that were run.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=2

Just imagine how much better the EE 3.3ghz one would be :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Corasik said:
Considering in recent reviews the $316(£195) E6600 have outperformed the ($1060)AMD FX62 in many tests, I would say that we're in for some bargain processor power.
The problem is that depending on how much they want the enthusiast market back, they could choose to inflate the price when they find out the large interests to reflect the superior performance.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
/throws stone

I'm going to get one as soon as I can afford it. Judging on the Folding@Home performance of my Pentium Mobile versus my other Intel and AMD boxes I think that these Intel chips will be the performance leaders for some time.

Has anybody seen any pricing on Woodcrest chips or duallie boards?

Thinking the same thing Stan. If these are monsters in super pi, wonder how fast they will be at F@H :D Dual core too. It would be flying.

gam3r - coolaler does'nt work for Intel. They are samples that are giving to testers before the retail products arrive. There are a few samples around. 2 well known people on XS, FUGGER and FCG have got some too. Being XS, its the most popular overclocking site / forums in the world. If you break a WR or want to find out about them, then go to XS. FUGGER and FCG have a Conroe XE. Its not the 3.33GHz version that people might think. That does'nt arrive till next year unless AMD bring out something out of the bag to rock Intels ship a little.

The Conroe XE that will come out or just shortly after the NON XE Conroes, will be: 2.93GHz, 4MB L2, 1066MHz FSB, Unlocked Multi's and possibly HT. Its unsure about the HT at this stage.

Its shown that the NON XE Conroe beats the FX62 in most of tests ran, so they just bring out a XE version Conroe to give overclockers unlocked multi's to gain faster speeds.

The 3.33GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB and unlocked multi Conroe XE is in reserve at this time.

Things can always changed though. Who knows that AMD will have to offer.

Associate
Energize said:
Cpus dont affect loading time, they affect the framerate in games.

And the conroe 2.66ghz owned the amd fx-60/X2 overclocked by 20% minimum in the benchmarks that were run.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=2

Just imagine how much better the EE 3.3ghz one would be :eek:

Cool, cheers... better understanding at least... and it obviously would be better for encoding, although currently the framerate difference would make little difference to the playing quality of current games only future titles over the next year or so by my guess-timate.

Still for my upgrade path it doesnt warrant a purchase, as by the time i would need an upgrade im sure the next big thing will be out (AMD or Intel) and i'll get that. Interesting reading, and about time Intel caught up! :)

Back
Top Bottom