Considerate employers

Soldato
Gym on company time, time off paid to pick up cars, drop off cars, be in for engineer etc. And we were allowed to finish early so we could go and see the Olympic Torch coming near to our work.

There are lots and lots of cons too though!

Soldato
My employer is great.

As long as I get the work done I can work from anywhere, to quote my boss "as long as you get your work done I don't mind if you work on the moon".
I only need to give a couple days notice if I want a day or two off, ideally a week or two notice for a longer period.
No questions are asked for medical/dental appointments.
I'm allowed to leave early or have a morning/afternoon off as long as I don't have any meetings or tasks planned and make the time up, I don't need to notify anyone or record it.
The company gives us free beer on Friday afternoons.
We have relaxation room that we can use at any time.
I'm often told to go home early by my boss.

To be honest even though we don't have to I usually give my boss more notice than outlined above as it's all about respect, employees are trusted to manage their time responsibly and I feel it's my duty to not take advantage and will go out of my way to keep my boss updated or make any time up.

Soldato
God some you guys can be real ***** at times.... not everyone works in a company where it is possible to just take tomorrow off... myself for example am able too in some circumstances but a lot of the times we have to at least give a few days notice as work load can be crazy at times.

On a side note my bosses are pretty cool, There have been times where I have had to work a few 11 hr shifts in a row due to issues so they just said take tomorrow off, don't book it as holiday just take it...Paid....

Soldato
If I'm ever sick or have to take a day off but will be at home, it just goes down that I'm working from home. I also do one day a week from home to save on childcare costs. As long as I do my hours over a 7 day period it doesn't matter.

Man of Honour
Yup worked for some bosses/companies in the past where if you needed some time off in a hurry for a good reason they'd still be ***** about it and bend over backwards to make it awkward for you to take the time off.

On the flipside the problem is often enough if a boss is considerate and treats their staff well you get some people who take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone :(

Permabanned
Not at 1700 for the next day. Legal entitlement is for some point in a year, not the next shift.

The legal entitlement refers to the holiday entitlement, not to the notice period....:rolleyes:

If he was actually more considerate than the majority of good managers he would have simply given him a paid day off rather than taking advantage of the fact to get rid of a holiday day........

And that's the point, it is simply good standard management practice, not special consideration.

Last edited:
Soldato
My last place of work, you had to ask the management if you wanted more than two weeks off in one go and it would only be granted for "special circumstances". I asked to take three weeks off from my holiday entitlement to get married but was told the reason wasn't special enough.

Soldato
My boss announced to me last week he doesn't care if I only do 6 hrs a day so long as I'm productive.
I don't have to book time off for personal stuff, just go, doesn't care what time I start, doesn't care what time I finish, authorises all my expenses without question, sorts out any issues I get into with other directors.
He came down on Wednesday to go and see some customers. Which we did till 1030 then we went and got some breakfast, after which spent the next two hours looking at motorbikes at various different shops.
Got back to my office at 1330 and he said that will do let's call it at a day.

Sounds like I work for some small family business doesn't it?

It's actually got 15,000 employees.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
It's great if your in a line of work where a boss can be so flexible. Wish I could be so flexible.

Soldato
My boss seems to never keep track on whether we are in or not ... he was going to come and see us next Friday (we're based on another site) but had to be reminded that neither of us are in the office that day ... but that is par for the course for him.

He's fairly flexible and lets us work from home if we need/want to as long as we get the work done. Personally I don't like working from home but ended up doing that 2.5days this last week for various reasons. It's useful for things like large deliveries or boiler repairs without taking annual leave ... or if you are just feeling knackered and really can't face the commute at 6am.

With annual leave they like us to give some notice (a working minimum being an amount equal to the amount of leave) but we tend to give a lot more than that. My main 3 week holiday this year is in October but has been approved in the leave system since the start of the year.

Soldato
My boss announced to me last week he doesn't care if I only do 6 hrs a day so long as I'm productive.
I don't have to book time off for personal stuff, just go, doesn't care what time I start, doesn't care what time I finish, authorises all my expenses without question, sorts out any issues I get into with other directors.
He came down on Wednesday to go and see some customers. Which we did till 1030 then we went and got some breakfast, after which spent the next two hours looking at motorbikes at various different shops.
Got back to my office at 1330 and he said that will do let's call it at a day.

Sounds like I work for some small family business doesn't it?

It's actually got 15,000 employees.

sounds too good to be true, what kind of work do you do?

Soldato
My boss is pretty cool and lets me do whatever I want really.
I've officially changed my own starting time from 9am to 9.45am because I'm not a morning person, I work from home as and when I want/need to and take holidays whenever I want.

Soldato
Swings and roundabouts really.
My bosses can be both utter ***** or really cool mates.
I'm sure along the way I might feel aggrieved by some of the ****ish things they do but on the whole I think I get my monies worth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom