Considerate employers

Soldato
depends on the job you do really, if you work in a big place where lots of people do the same job, or at least could do what you do then it's not usually a problem to get holidays at the drop of a hat
my job is nothing fancy (HGV driver) but trying to get holidays can be a pain as there's only a few drivers at my depot so they have to arrange cover, also being late can can cause problems due to timed delivery slots etc

Man of Honour
OP
The legal entitlement refers to the holiday entitlement, not to the notice period....:rolleyes:

Wrong. It refers to both.

If he was actually more considerate than the majority of good managers he would have simply given him a paid day off rather than taking advantage of the fact to get rid of a holiday day........

And that's the point, it is simply good standard management practice, not special consideration.

Then "good standard management practice" isn't standard.

This thread has really shown how far the user base at OcUK deviates from the norm.

Permabanned
Wrong. It refers to both.

Haha, I wrote it, I know what it refers to better than you, given that I never mentioned any notice period, only referring to the legal holiday entitlement in the post it seems a pretty big assumption on your part to begin with, which is why I corrected you.

And that is it, you made an assumption on the context of my post and what I was referring to, I corrected you and clarified the context. That is all there is to it really.

Then "good standard management practice" isn't standard.

Not in my experience, and as a member of the Institute of Directors, good management practices were an often discussed topic by managers and directors across a wide range of industries and businesses. The other thing to remember is that you seem to be unable to understand the context of a sentence, as "Good Standard Management Practice" clearly refers to what is considered good standard practice, not what some think is the standard generic practices found in some businesses.....

But of course, you are some form of contextual clairvoyant as I expect you will inform me that my meaning and context of what I wrote were not that at all....:D

Last edited:
Soldato
You really can tell how detached from what are really normal working conditions the average OcUK her is.

Most people can't just have the next day off, regardless of entitlement. Most employers will require at least 2 weeks notice of time off, even then the "book" may be full with no more time allowed off.

Obviously you guys are all easy to replace ;)

Associate
You really can tell how detached from what are really normal working conditions the average OcUK her is.

Most people can't just have the next day off, regardless of entitlement. Most employers will require at least 2 weeks notice of time off, even then the "book" may be full with no more time allowed off.

We've got it better than you so we must be worthless to the companies? Lol.

It's just as logical to say we're worth more to the companies than you to yours, and so our employers treat us well and keep us happy.

Permabanned

It depends on your Job, on your employers business model, on the nature of the business itself....

In certain critical positions is is impractical or impossible to cover very short term leave requests....however good management would take that into consideration and have sufficient short term cover....what happens if someone in a critical position is taken seriously ill for example, it is simply good practice to ensure a level of critical position redundancy in any business.

There is a difference between emergency leave requests and booking leave....and there are many business that would regard the consideration of emergency leave requests as a standard management practice.

The people who have contrary experience to this probably says more about the state of the minimum standards of Management Practice than it does about what is Good Standard Management Practice

Associate
Bank I was working for in City (London) gave me 2 weeks paternity leave fully paid when they were only oblidged to give me 3 days. Have to say fair play to them for that.

Man of Honour
OP
Haha, I wrote it, I know what it refers to better than you, given that I never mentioned any notice period, only referring to the legal holiday entitlement in the post it seems a pretty big assumption on your part to begin with, which is why I corrected you.

And that is it, you made an assumption on the context of my post and what I was referring to, I corrected you and clarified the context. That is all there is to it really.

Not in my experience, and as a member of the Institute of Directors, good management practices were an often discussed topic by managers and directors across a wide range of industries and businesses. The other thing to remember is that you seem to be unable to understand the context of a sentence, as "Good Standard Management Practice" clearly refers to what is considered good standard practice, not what some think is the standard generic practices found in some businesses.....

But of course, you are some form of contextual clairvoyant as I expect you will inform me that my meaning and context of what I wrote were not that at all....:D

I made the mistake of assuming you were referring to the real world, not just part of one of your earlier posts.

I also made the mistake of interpreting "good standard practice" as "standard practice" rather than "good practice". The word "standard" misled me as I thought it meant "standard".

Man of Honour
OP
We've got it better than you so we must be worthless to the companies? Lol.

That's not what they said. They joked that you must be easy to replace if your employers let you come and go pretty much as you please and take time off whenever you want.

It's just as logical to say we're worth more to the companies than you to yours, and so our employers treat us well and keep us happy.
I'd say both are true in a sense.

Many higher-level employees are easy to "replace" on a very short-term basis because they can usually be "replaced" by standard practices for a while. They don't do the work required for hour-to-hour running of the business, as a general rule. They're thought of as being worth more to the company because...actually, I don't know why. But they obviously are, hence the vastly larger pay and routine special treatment.

Permabanned
I made the mistake of assuming you were referring to the real world, not just part of one of your earlier posts.

I also made the mistake of interpreting "good standard practice" as "standard practice" rather than "good practice". The word "standard" misled me as I thought it meant "standard".

Fair enough...hope the confusion is all cleared up...:)

So long as I work my monthly hours I can come and go as I please (without taking the Michael). Need that half day off to go pick something up? Just tell my director that I'm going. Worked an extra 8 hours over the course of the week? Have a day off. Fancy starting at 7 and finishing at 3 (or starting at 11 and finishing at 7)? Just go ahead.

Yeah same here. I can build up a bit of flex then take a half-day off for a delivery etc. My boiler packed up recently too and it was during a week that I already had booked off as holiday.

Back
Top Bottom