Associate
Hi,

I've always been a casual console gamer and was debating the PS5 but have been convinced to make the leap to PC instead, plenty of research done at a time that seems to be exciting with new releases and competition, but with that come so many questions.

I want to use the PC for gaming AAA titles and hobby on the side would be to edit video and photos.

Main questions are;
CPU - Is the 5600x a good option with gpu or will it cause problems in the near future and be better to go 5900x now?
Monitor - If investing in a PC build I want to 'future proof' as much as possible within budget, do I go 1440p now or better to take the plunge to 4K monitor?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
*Bought a Sabrent Rocket 1TB nvme pcie 4.0 on Prime day.

Thanks in advance for any support and replies!

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly, get rid of all those competitor mentions.
Secondly, wow has OCUK scalped the 5600X to £311 now!?
Thirdly, yes the 5600X will be an excellent gaming CPU especially at 1440p and above for years to come. I'd go for a decent 144Hz 1440p over slower 4k. That cooler is way overkill for the 5600W, you can get a decent enough cooler for half the price.
850W is an overkill, 650W is more than enough.
You can also get Windows keys for less than that.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up on competitors, edited now.
Reassuring on the CPU thanks.
I've saw a lower profile black noctua cooler will have a look at it again.
big swing on the psu, had no idea, thanks again!

Soldato
For only six core Ryzen bang per buck cooler right now is discounted Alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advanced for £20.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html
And £43 Brocken 3 would easily cover any upgrades to 12 core 5900X.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html

Right now 5600X isn't anykind bottleneck except in few heaviest games making it bang per buck choise.
And AMD eventually lowers prices of oldel models, so in couple years you could get 12 core for better price.
Though if you want to limit upgrades to graphics card, 5900X would certainly have superior usage life.
And video editing/encoding can certainly use all the cores it can get.

Unless you might want to add lots of NVMe mass storage at some point B550 board would be perfectly enough. (saving money for that 5900X)
CPU VRMs (power circuitry) are as strong/durable as in X570 and you get PCIe v4 for graphics card.
X570's only advantage is in everything being PCIe v4.
Meaning even x1 slot would give 2GB/s bandwidth for using NVMes with adapter when PCIe v4 becomes norm in them.

In monitors good 4K gaming monitors are really only starting to come out now and are rather expensive.
LG 27GN950 is one of the first.
And for 32" size you would still have to wait.
That size has been horribly neglected with even first high Hz 2560x1440 IPS coming out only recently.
ViewSonic Elite XG320U will be pretty much first gaming capable 4K monitor at that size.

Back
Top Bottom