Console Game of the Year (Nominations)

Soldato
1. Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)
2. Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360)
3. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

Biggest dissapointment - Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Last edited:
Soldato
I only play on the 360 and haven't played Mario Galaxy yet but given that I hate that damn plumber I doubt I even want to.

Biggest Upset:
I think we can almost all agree that Bioshock was looking to be GOTY but after the initial story was over there was little left, and to be honest I couldn't even manage a second play through the game. I rated it 9/10 when I reviewed it, mainly based on my first play through.

My GOTY
There's only one GOTY for me, and that goes to Mass Effect. An incredible game all round, and it's amazing what they've done with the Unreal 3 engine. Incredible visuals, stonking musical score, you get to go good or evil, and boink an alien :o :D Sequel plz...preferably before I get too old!

Associate
1 Gears of WAR - pushed the boundaries and is a benchmark for other games to live up to.
2 Forza 2 - great racing sim, again pushed the boundaries with its very realistic gameplay
3 COD4 - amazing. shame its so short on single player mode.

Most disapointing game - possibly PGR4 nowhere near as good as pgr3 imo.

aint played mass effect etc yet though.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
1. The Orange Box - for value for money, the fact that it's an original PC game but has converted to console flawlessly, 5 games and a brand new idea. Perfect.

2. COD4 - Amazing graphics, brilliant story, multiplayer is exceptional. This would have been my GOTY but the short single player missions dropped it to second place.

3. PGR4 - Apart from the daft career mode, this game is brilliant. Graphics, sound, multiplayer, everything.

Biggest disappointment was Bioshock. Had high hopes for this but just ended up been a mediocre shooter graphics were very very nice but the game itself bored me pooless.

Soldato
OP
My most played games and the one's that I've gone back to again and again are the following:

FIFA 2008
Gears of War
Crackdown

The 'big' games, Mass Affect, COD4, Bioshock, Orange Box, Mario Galaxy I'm either yet to play or haven't given enough time to them to really nominate them for anything. When the GF gets the Wii for Xmas I can't wait for Mario Galaxy.

Oi! Gears was 2006! Pick again :)

and that goes for the rest of you ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
1) COD4 (ps3 or 360 version) - nothing has come close for online fps not even Halo3 for me

2) Crackdown (360) - excellent free roam and a lot of fun been had playing this

3) God Of War II (PS2) - simply ticks all the boxes for fun and enjoyment

Biggest disappointment - Assasins Creed and Forza 2

I dunno how accurate a poll would be anyway seeing majority are 360 owners so prehaps a poll of GOTY for each format would be better?, no?, surely?

Don
Oi! Gears was 2006! Pick again :)

and that goes for the rest of you ;)

Dayam, never knew it was that long ago.

PES6 is a no go too then, I guess I can't really nominate anything yet. I get Mass Affect next week for my Birthday :D COD4 I will eventually play! I'm loving GH3 though, possibly a contender!

I've remembered a game I loved from this year, The Darkness! Kept me hooked, a refreshing change to the usual FPS. Great game! Shame for the MP action, was awfully laggy, not sure if this was ever rectified.

Last edited:
Soldato
1)
I dunno how accurate a poll would be anyway seeing majority are 360 owners so prehaps a poll of GOTY for each format would be better?, no?, surely?

Gotta agree on that one, i was thinking the same, as most are 360 owners on here maybe it could be broken down into each console then perhaps an overall one. Sorry to the OP if this kinda messes up his suggestions but it may also be a good idea for people who have just got a new console and want some idea on games to play?

Associate
Super Mario Galaxy
After playing Super Paper Mario I got really excited by this game and it has surpassed my expectations. I was worried how they could possibly make a Mario game great again, but Nintendo have blast those doubts to oblivion. My GOTY and possibly of the last 5.

COD4
Purely because I believe it is the best MP game on live. Enjoyed the single player despite its annoyancies, but the MP has made this game immense. I can see myself playing this for a while yet.

skate
I was extremely tempted to pick Bioshock but skate struck a nerve with me. Haven't really played any skateboarding game since TH4, but despite some flaws I had a lot of fun and a great sense of accomplishment when I managed to nail the perfect line.

Biggest Dissapointment
Guitar Hero 3
After only getting 2 a few months back I was so hyped for this game, after getting it the other day I must say I am so dissapointed. It isn't bad by any means but I had such high expectations for it. The hammer ons just seen to be randomly placed and require no skill to pull them off. Also despite some excellent tracks the tracklist overall isn't as good as 2. Haven't tried online Co-Op so that may be its saving grace.

Soldato
OP
Gotta agree on that one, i was thinking the same, as most are 360 owners on here maybe it could be broken down into each console then perhaps an overall one. Sorry to the OP if this kinda messes up his suggestions but it may also be a good idea for people who have just got a new console and want some idea on games to play?

I did consider this and some other ideas but decided to keep it simple. I believe the good games will come through whatever format they're on as enough people here have consoles other than the 360. After all the nominations are in I can easily detail the other formats top choices and even do other polls as necessary.

Soldato
CoD4
BioShock
Half Life: The Orange Box

I'd probably put Mass Effect in there somewhere but as I have only played about 30mins of it i feel i cant justify putting it in the mix yet. There has been some awesome games this year.

Biggest disappointment is probably Pro Evo 2008

Soldato
Call of Duty 4 for me. Single player and multiplayer.

I haven't given Mass Effect much time yet so I can't comment on it. There is nothing else on the 360 that I'd nominate, there have been lots of good games but nothing else worthy of GoTY in my opinion.

Soldato
PS3
----

CoD4 - Just a fantastic game, haven't completed SP because MP is THAT addictive.
RB6Vegas - Brilliant Online, and I love the cover system.
Heavenly Sword - Big Suprise, got poor reviews really, and was a nice suprise as I really enjoyed it.

Also worthy of a mention would be The Darkness - one of the finest SP FPS I have ever played.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned God of War 2, I haven't played it yet, but if it's anything like the first...

Edit: Sorry just notice msmalls74 and others have mentioned GoW2 :D

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Bioshock - although pretty short with no replay value, the experience the first time round imo makes it worth GOTY purely because it engrossed me so fully for that time. I'd much rather a game that I enjoy that intensely once than any game with huge replay value or a multiplayer mode.
Mass Effect - I've not completed this yet but already I know it's worth GOTY, it's exactly what I was hoping for and despite a few irritating niggles, it's still an amazing example of a next gen RPG.
Eternal Sonata - Despite its flaws, and imo being too easy for the most part, it was a really enjoyable JRPG and the kind of game I've missed since the PS1 ones. It reminded me greatly of Star Ocean 2 which was one of my favourite games for the PS1 so I do have a soft spot for ES.

Pity this means I'm leaving out CoD4 though :( Great experience in SP and very enjoyable in MP, I just can't help but lean towards SP experiences with my top 3 :)
I haven't really played any new games on other consoles although I really want Super Mario Galaxy :D

Caporegime
Ok. Here we are. All of the big hitters are out so I thought we'd decide what we think are our games of the year. We'll have a nominations round first to decide the top 10 then we'll post a poll to have that final say. All consoles count (PS2/PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP) but the game must have been released in 2007.

I want your >>> 3 <<< nominations in any order and I'll work out a top 10 then put out a poll in a couple of weeks for a final descision. Feel free to say why your nominating the games and any which nearly made the cut. Also add your biggest disappointment(s) of the year.

My nominations:

Mass Effect ~ Sublime gaming experience. Despite some small niggles and the fact I've not finished I've yet to play a rpg with this much atmosphere. Amazing music and voice acting this is my first choice.

Crackdown ~ Most underrated game of the year. Despite being relatively short the game brings a breath of fresh of air to sand box genre. It has a breathtaking draw distance and climbing and jumping between buildings was genuinely exhilerating. One of the few games I could seriously consider rebuying to play again.

Bioshock ~ Again, atmospheric, original and a great story. Ok, it didn't have much replayability but the moment I landed in the water and entered Rapture I was hooked. Amazing graphics and music, twists, shocks; fantastic stuff and the reason I play games.

Other contenders were The Darkness (such a great story with original gameplay), Halo 3 (playing 3 player coop over live was amazing), Blue Dragon (despite the traditional feel of the play this was a thoroughly lovely game to play) and PGR4 (the best next-gen racing game imo). Disclaimer: I've not played Portal (Orange Box) or COD4 yet so these haven't figured.

My biggest disappointment: Eternal Sonata ~ After reading so many good things about it I expected greatness. Sure the graphics were lovely but the combat was repetitive and too 'twitchy'. The bonus dungeon was one of the worst designed and the need to 'grind' to finish it was the final blow.

When do you think the cutoff will be for nominations?

I have Uncharted to finish and Mass Effect to start (this week), both are serious contenders.

(I will edit this post and make it my nomination post later so it doesn't mess up your thread).

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom