Constant varying BSODs after rebuild

Associate
Hi All,

Hope to god someone can give me some advice as I'm losing my mind trying to fix my PC.

First of the specs:~
CPU (Using Corsair Hydro 110i) i5 7600k not overclocked
MB Asus Prime Z270-A (MB had to be replaced last August/September due to one of the pins being effectively melted somehow. PC was built in April and somehow worked fine up till rebuilding when installing a new GPU. The CPU was not replaced as advised by Overclockers support that it should be Ok)
RAM Kingston Fury Black 2666Mhz 16GB (8GB x 2)
PSU Corsair CS750M Gold Certified
SSD Samsung Pro 850 240GB then Pro 840 120GB
GPU (not currently being used) Asus Strix 1080

The issue...
So from time to time I have been getting the odd driver issue but nothing that caused a BSOD or reboot. But for not real discernible reason the Asus Ai Suite stopped working along. Checking event viewer it looked liked something to do with Kernelbase.dll and was causing multiple applications to fail. Tried a few things but nothing seemed to fix it so decided to rebuild. Initially reinstalled onto the same SSD, at least tried using an Official Windows 10 Usb. About half way through the setup, around the part where you put in a wifi password and put a username it came up with a BSOD. Rebooted, did the same thing. Removed the memory stick and rebooted and again got a BSOD. Wiped it again and reinstalled then got to windows, then again got a BSOD (I'll list as many of the BSOD errors I can remember below). One error was mentioned on a forum as being a CMOS issue so reset the CMOS and still no luck. Ran a memory diagnostics and no errors found. Ran chkdsk, no errors found. Thought maybe the usb was at error, burnt a new image from the microsoft website but doesnt even get past setup without a BSOD. Swapped to another SSD, the Pro 840 120GB. Ran through and was in windows for sometime, thought all was good, turns out the SSD's firmware needed updating so updated them and worked for about 30 minutes then the BSOD's returned. Tried making a bootable USB to get into linux to run a Intel cpu test as the Intel CPU diagnostics tool would not run on my PC or would BSOD before completing the diagnostic. Tried booting it and it failed to boot stating; CPU 3 PID not tainted, update microcode. Tried another Linux image and again it would not boot. Tried multiple memory sticks as well. There may well be more things I have tried but been going round in circles for about 10 hours now and thats all I can remember.

Now the BSOD errors...
irql_not_less_or_equal
machine_check_exception
driver_overran_stack_buffer
attempted_execute_of_no_executememory

There may be more but they are the main ones I can remember

Update Tried booting the pc back up again to see if I could go through the event logs to find any more information and now the pc just reboots with no blue screen

Any help would be appreciated and cheers in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at WhoCrashed. It will narrow it down to the problem and give you some help for bsod.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

If your computer crashed and produced a blue or black screen

It is suggested that you run WhoCrashed. WhoCrashed will analyze the crash dump files available on your computer and create a conclusion. It will inform you about responsible drivers and offer suggestions on how to proceed.

Associate
OP
Gave that a go and managed to get results back just before it crashed, most of them said it was likely a driver that could not identfied at that time but one said it was due to an ntfs.sys error. Ran a chkdsk again but said it was fine but currently downloading SnappyDrivers full version to see if I can fix it with that.Cheers for the assist and Ill post any progress

Soldato
PC was built in April and somehow worked fine up till rebuilding when installing a new GPU.
So problem is there with integrated graphics card?
New graphics card suddenly starting problem could hint to it, but if problem continues without it that excludes it.

Wrong memory settings could cause problems, but if PC worked fine until GPU change they should have been correct.

Have you tried reseting BIOS to default settings/clearing CMOS in case some settings have gotten corrupted?

While that PSU is rather cheap build with cheap capacitors from grab bag of cheap enought stuff it shouldn't fail this fast.
Though if possible to try with other PSU that would be one variable to test.

And if motherboard had to be replaced with clear problems in CPU socket also CPU itself being broken is clear contender for cause of problems.

Associate
OP
@EsaT I may not have made it clear but the GPU was working fine and was installed last year and when rebuilding found the MB issue.

I have tried resetting the CMOS and clearing BIOS settings but no luck.
I have tested the PSU with a tester and its outputting fine.

I was thinking the CPU may have given up but going to see if I can install up to date drivers to see if that sorts the issue. If not then I may buy a celeron with the LGA 1151 socket to see if it works

EDIT attempted to install Ubuntu again and getting errors when, again looks like CPU issues
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kd8BO0tWi5B1fTtQ2

EDIT 2 I replaced the CPU with a Celeron and the pc works fine so will try again with the i5 just incase it was not seated correctly but may be that the original MB had damaged it and its finally died.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom