*** Control (Remedy Games) ***

Soldato
Who wants to re-play this in 8K? :D

geforce-rtx-3090-8k-gaming-performance.png

Associate
So, will I like Control?

I will prefix this by saying I am a huge fan of Remedys output and in particular I have a fondness for the Max Payne Trilogy and Alan Wake.

I have Quantum Break but I never really got on with it.

So, would I enjoy Control?

Associate
Anyone know where i can find some decent settings for this ? just got my 3080 and thought this would run pretty well wit rtx and dlss at 4k 60 but im getting a lot of frame drops in the corridor of doom from digital foundry im dropping into the 40s

Soldato
So, will I like Control?

I will prefix this by saying I am a huge fan of Remedys output and in particular I have a fondness for the Max Payne Trilogy and Alan Wake.

I have Quantum Break but I never really got on with it.

So, would I enjoy Control?
Try the demo on Steam first!!

I bought for full price last year, hated it & gave up trying to complete due to the terrible mission design & all the backtracking & bugs which can wipe all auto save game progress! I loved Alan Wake, Max Payne 1+2 & like Quantum Break most of the time. I think Control is a very lazy game & looks pretty dated as well (Ray Tracing is just a gimmick to add a few shiny surfaces & fancy reflections they could have done in software anyway!).

The gameplay is just Max Payne with bullet time & other similar game play altering mechanics added so you have to use them to make the endless combat bearable. The enemies appear to also regenerate when you return to a level which is also very tedious to me & makes the game way longer than it needed to be with such a weak time travelling elements story.

Soldato
looks pretty dated as well (Ray Tracing is just a gimmick to add a few shiny surfaces & fancy reflections they could have done in software anyway.

First person I've heard say that. The game oozes atmosphere in every part. It looks absolutely gorgeous and that was playing 1080p without ray tracing. This is one of the few games I might replay entirely when I get my RTX 3070 to match my new 1440p 27 inch screen.

The combat is versatile as well once you get a few of the unlocks.

Soldato
First person I've heard say that. The game oozes atmosphere in every part. It looks absolutely gorgeous and that was playing 1080p without ray tracing. This is one of the few games I might replay entirely when I get my RTX 3070 to match my new 1440p 27 inch screen.

The combat is versatile as well once you get a few of the unlocks.
I also thought it looked dated, and it does, textures poor considering new games, and it has a half life 2 feel to the graphics to me, not a bad thing, but they just look old and dull to me, the game it self is great thou.

Man of Honour
Just bought this on STEAM to try out for the 2 hours refund window see what it's like. Will report back!

Edit*
Refunded after a quick blast around.

Gameplay reminded me of Max Payne/Alan Wake but it felt too linear to me. Physics and RT look nice and the game ran fine for me max everything but nothing really jumped out as exceptional. The funky dimensional effects was interesting but again the surroundings were just too plain. By comparison SOTTR has way more immersion thanks to the world ambience.

The gameplay just felt several years dated really and not up to scratch to what I am used to from a third parson game especially after playing games like Tomb Raider and Last of us Pt2 this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally after well over a year due to save game corruption bugs I finished it & can uninstall forever!
What an utter pile of junk it was! Remedy really need to fire whoever designs these things as its so poor I have gone from blind buying their games to no longer having any immediate interest in them or their games whatsoever! :(

RTX Raytracing looks like a massive pile of junk. For the performance hit its rubbish & looks a good 10 years old. The actual game looks very dated anyway and has some terrible low res textures & bland graphical design elements ingame.

Level design is appalling. So many times you are forced to backtrack or look around randomly until you can find the hidden entrance or visit another earlier level to access the one you need to get to now as its above or below your current location but not accessible without a massive detour (to lengthen the gameplay time ONLY is why its designed like this!).

Combat is also terrible. Endless, mindless boring bland gunplay with your character requiring to use different powers to progress.

Storyline is a jumbled mess & so boring as are the endless cutscenes & tedious mission designs.

Very last mission is really horrible due to the bright red used everywhere its hard to even see where you need to go & instant death is possible which requires a lot of backtracking.

Overall this is one of Remedy's worse ever games by far. Quantum Break was not great either but nowhere near as bad as this stinker no wonder they took the money from ECS it would have flopped hard financially otherwise.

Associate
I completely disagree that this is bland (although I maybe am only a third of the way though).

I find this game extremely stylish and atmospheric. The environments are clean because that’s what a government building that has to use old tech would look like. But architecturally the Old House is beautiful, it gives you a sense of grandeur and foreboding all at the same time.

story wise, I love the premise and that you pick up so much of the world via the redacted collectibles left around.

Associate
About 3-4 hours in and finding it a bit confusing and annoying. I don't get why timed missions suddenly pop up needing you to go to another area, it just breaks the continuity.

I don't think I'll rush to finish it.

Soldato
About 3-4 hours in and finding it a bit confusing and annoying. I don't get why timed missions suddenly pop up needing you to go to another area, it just breaks the continuity.

I don't think I'll rush to finish it.
Level design is terrible it does not get any better! Took me over a year to find the stamina to slog through it to uninstall & save 50GB!

Back
Top Bottom