The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Man of Honour
I had it last night. Made the dough on Friday. It worked out really well, nice crust and very easy to hand stretch.

Fresh Nduja my favourite.

Looks good, did it taste better/different than a normal dough without the sourdough starter?

My ooni hasn't been dispatched yet. May give in and do some pizzas on the bbq since I have a lot of 00

Soldato
My sourdough starter is alive, just fed it for the second time. Doesn't have that yeasty smell yet but bubbling away nicely.

Re gas bottles I've never waited for one just gone in the shop and grabbed one.

Some more good news my flour and some cured meats are due tomorrow so will make some dough start at 60% hydration and 44 hours at 10c and 4 hours at room temp.

Soldato
Looks good, did it taste better/different than a normal dough without the sourdough starter?

My ooni hasn't been dispatched yet. May give in and do some pizzas on the bbq since I have a lot of 00

I wouldnt say it tasted much different, more the texture was a little different in a good way. The recipe uses a small bit of wholemeal flour which is nice.

Man of Honour
I wouldnt say it tasted much different, more the texture was a little different in a good way. The recipe uses a small bit of wholemeal flour which is nice.

Nice

My sourdough starter seems to be active but not as much as i expected. May be the first cm is bubbly but the lower part isn't. Should I leave it another day or remove some and feed? It's a good 6 days in I guess. I fed it a couple of time and then have done a couple of feeds where I removed some. It was quite cool where it was in a lader and have now brought into the kitchen proper. Thoughts please?

Soldato
Nice

My sourdough starter seems to be active but not as much as i expected. May be the first cm is bubbly but the lower part isn't. Should I leave it another day or remove some and feed? It's a good 6 days in I guess. I fed it a couple of time and then have done a couple of feeds where I removed some. It was quite cool where it was in a lader and have now brought into the kitchen proper. Thoughts please?

The bubbling is what you need, the whole thing probably wont bubble as it rises to the top naturally. The starter shouldn't smell really bad, just a fresh yeast smell. You could try making some bread on your next feed instead of discarding.

Soldato
Flour turned up delivery guys face after carrying it up the stairs.
Got 1kg of salami as well and 500g of wild boar salami as well.

Soldato
1kg of salami should go along way. I got 10kg of 00 on amazon which arrived yesterday in a big box.
I don't mind buying cured meat on volumes it keeps forever hung up in the garage.

My sour dough starter has started to have that yeasty smell today. Could probably start using it now. Might try a loaf tomorrow.

Caporegime
I may or may not have tried it...

The supermarket dough is not really suitable for a 400deg plus pizza oven, it is sticky, it does not rise and basically just incinerates.
You've got 3 weeks to perfect a dough recipe rather than buy that :D

Thanks for the reply. I was actually in a local Italian Artesan bakery today and they had some "fancy" flour. I might buy that and try at some point before the oven arrives!

https://www.molinodenti.it/en/farine/pizza/

rp2000

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I was actually in a local Italian Artesan bakery today and they had some "fancy" flour. I might buy that and try at some point before the oven arrives!

https://www.molinodenti.it/en/farine/pizza/

rp2000

Low W flour if you want to make the dough the same day you use it.
High W of you want it to prove for multiple days.

I've gone for flour that's around W 320.

You want the P/L as low as you can about 0.5.

Unless I have it wrong W is how strong the flour is so stretches more without breaking.
P/L is how elastic it is so how much it will shrink back when your trying to stretch it.

Caporegime
I
Low W flour if you want to make the dough the same day you use it.
High W of you want it to prove for multiple days.

I've gone for flour that's around W 320.

You want the P/L as low as you can about 0.5.

Unless I have it wrong W is how strong the flour is so stretches more without breaking.
P/L is how elastic it is so how much it will shrink back when your trying to stretch it.
It's all getting a bit more complicated than I thought :D

Didn't realise how much effort goes into making things that look like the photos seen in this thread. But I'm gonna have to learn anyway! Not much else to do during lockdown.

There is a proper italian pizza place next to my work who have a big stone oven (wood), i see them making these pizzas and doughs all day long (often for my consumption) looks so easy. I wonder if they will just give me their fresh made dough.... :D probably not when they realise they're going to lose my custom soon!

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom