The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Caporegime
More importantly, what recipe are you using? It will be sticky to start with but trust me, 5 to 10 minutes kneading on a work surface and your dough should be silky silky smooth.

Recipe wise try this

758G of Type 00 Flour
451g of Water
0.5 of Active Dried Yeast
22g of Salt

This will give you 5 x 250 g balls if you prove at room temperature (21 degrees) for 24 hours. Also this is a 62% Hydration that I find the best for the flour I use (Caputo Blue)

is this still the best recipe to follow on here?

Caporegime
Had a look at this and it gave me...'

767g flour
460 water
1.7g Yeast ADY
23g of salt!!

Had a neb about and all the other recipe called for a tea or tablespoon

looks like it's similar to the above so -i'm going to go with Loki's suggestion. I don't like the flavour of yeast so less will hopefully mean less flavour even though I know it multiplies.

Associate
I have been using Loki's ratio from the OP, slightly modified on the last run

The Dough

So for this batch of Pizza, I made the dough over night and proofed in the fridge.

- 800g of Caputo type 00 Flour
- 200g of Semolina flour
- 14g of Yeast mixed in 600 ml of luke warm water
- 1Tbsp of Salt, Olive oil and Honey

although I converted oil+honey+salt into g and slightly less water ~ 550ml, I think it was a bit wet due to the oil, but YMMV. I plan to make more tomorrow so will see :)

Soldato
I received the Koda oven on Friday (just under 4 weeks from delivery to delivery). Looks very nice in person, and more lightweight than I thought.

Now I just need to source Gas, which is a bit more difficult than I thought! The smallest you can get in Spain is 11KG, which is quite big for a small balcony. But it should easily fit in a corner of the balcony, But I thought if it was smaller I could move it indoors when not in use. The price is only 13 euros which seems quite cheap. Anyway, some questions:

1) Lets say it is 30C outside, if that heat hits the cannister for maybe 6-7 hours, is it safe? Should I put a sheet of cardboard or something between the sunlight and the cannister?
2) It's advised to store the Oven inside when not in use. Any risks to just disconnecting from the valve and taking it inside when not in use (which would be most of the time!)?
3) Can I just rest the oven and cannister on the tiled floor? I don't mind resting the cannister on something as that would stay outside all the time. But I didn't really want to get a table or anything for the oven, as that would need to be removed after each use as well.

I'm going to go to a shop and ask some more questions, as that type of place should start to open under lockdown from this coming week. They need to come and do an "inspection" before they install it, although i'm not sure what that entails.

rp2000
No issue with canisters in the sun. Actually beneficial I always put mine in the sun.

Soldato
Associate
Looking forward to reading through these 17 pages as to date I have continued to defiantly stick with a 12" cast iron griddle and home oven at 300 deg. c.

I'm now going to invest in to a Ooni Fyra as I know I'll get the enjoyment from it.

We have a local joinery company who make bespoke garden furniture so thinking of having them make some sort of waist height stand for the Ooni and perhaps some sort of cover to throw over when not in use? Is there a fire risk of the Ooni burning the timber or is it well insulated? Would love to see other peoples setups as well as the lovely pizzas themselves.

I've already picked up a few tips reading this thread so far:
  • Avoid metal peels and go with wood?
  • Keep wooden pellets topped up to keep heat at optimum?
  • Use Caputo '00' flour
Any other quick tips to help me catch up quickly? Can the Ooni be used for anything else? How about big carnivorous lumps of protein?

Don
Looking forward to reading through these 17 pages as to date I have continued to defiantly stick with a 12" cast iron griddle and home oven at 300 deg. c.

I'm now going to invest in to a Ooni Fyra as I know I'll get the enjoyment from it.

We have a local joinery company who make bespoke garden furniture so thinking of having them make some sort of waist height stand for the Ooni and perhaps some sort of cover to throw over when not in use? Is there a fire risk of the Ooni burning the timber or is it well insulated? Would love to see other peoples setups as well as the lovely pizzas themselves.

I've already picked up a few tips reading this thread so far:
  • Avoid metal peels and go with wood?
  • Keep wooden pellets topped up to keep heat at optimum?
  • Use Caputo '00' flour
Any other quick tips to help me catch up quickly? Can the Ooni be used for anything else? How about big carnivorous lumps of protein?

launch with wood, retrieve and turn with metal

Caputo make many flours and method is different for each, I use Nuvola (not super) 24 hr RT prove 63% duration 2.8% salt

Caporegime
launch with wood, retrieve and turn with metal

Caputo make many flours and method is different for each, I use Nuvola (not super) 24 hr RT prove 63% duration 2.8% salt

Do I need to buy a wooden one to prepare the pizza and insert into the oven and then a metal one to remove it? Can I get away with just buying one that does both functions?

rp2000

Soldato
Do I need to buy a wooden one to prepare the pizza and insert into the oven and then a metal one to remove it? Can I get away with just buying one that does both functions?

rp2000

One of each is ideal, but you can get both elsewhere for the same price a single branded Ooni one.

Soldato
not an ooni, but I use a spatula for extraction, the pizza has enough rigidity and is only 12" dia, onto a waiting plate.

for insertion (heathen) an edgeless non-stick metal baking tray, on which I build the pizza, which has a liberal dusting of cornmeal

you need two implements if you are chain-cooking.

Back
Top Bottom