The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
Yes, after about 45-60sec give or take, open, check, rotate if needed. Aslong as your stone and oven is up to temp.

I have noticed that I can get approx 6 pizzas done on pellets before it starts to lose heat due to the ash not falling down - has anyone else had this?

Soldato
Looking forward to reading through these 17 pages as to date I have continued to defiantly stick with a 12" cast iron griddle and home oven at 300 deg. c.

I'm now going to invest in to a Ooni Fyra as I know I'll get the enjoyment from it.

We have a local joinery company who make bespoke garden furniture so thinking of having them make some sort of waist height stand for the Ooni and perhaps some sort of cover to throw over when not in use? Is there a fire risk of the Ooni burning the timber or is it well insulated? Would love to see other peoples setups as well as the lovely pizzas themselves.

I've already picked up a few tips reading this thread so far:
  • Avoid metal peels and go with wood?
  • Keep wooden pellets topped up to keep heat at optimum?
  • Use Caputo '00' flour
Any other quick tips to help me catch up quickly? Can the Ooni be used for anything else? How about big carnivorous lumps of protein?

What oven do you have that goes to 300c never seen domestic ovens go that high.

Soldato

My old zanussi had a 300c pizza setting, unfortunately my new neff only goes to 275! Or intense grill which is 275+...

Guessing the combo of getting the pizza stone under the grill for a period to really get the heat in it then whack it on top oven setting in most ovens should get you most of the way there.

Associate
Yep, as SoliD says its a Zanussi.

It has a dedicated pizza setting (upper and lower oven elements), but I dont use that. Instead I use convection + grill at 300 degrees which I'm reliably informed on other forums as the best way to get as much heat in there as possible. I use a heavy 12" cast iron pizza pan left in the oven for 30mins, lift it out, shot the pizza on and return it as quick as possible to the oven.

I've read about some people disabling safety measures on the oven self clean function whichs get extremely hot, but screw that as dont wish to burn my house down no matter how good the pizza may turn out :D

Soldato
yes - that's the problem with an oven, even if it does 300c, the stone/iron beneath will have enough thermal mass, but the radiant infra red on the top, you'd get with the flames in an ooni or stone in traditional oven is lacking, so the grill can compensate. ... playing with a hot cast iron pan is not fun though,

for a decent Weber gas bbq?
just saw you can get a pizza conversion for a weber kettle ... news to me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onlyfire-BRK-6023-Conversion-stainless-thermometer/dp/B0716NTN7M
looking at the design, you could, frankly, buy a 2nd hand kettle and cut a slot, in either the lid or body ?

the new koda 16, has surely got to drop from £400, they seem to monopalise the market though ... hurry up you chinese manufacturers.

Man of Honour
Are the Ooni ovens going to give noticeably better results than something like these pizza stones for a decent Weber gas bbq?

Yes. I've been doing pizza for years on both charcoal and gas weber on pizza stone. The difference now with Ooni is huge. It cooks in a fraction of the time and the texture of the base is exactly as good as any pizza restaurant with no compromise. Stone on weber works well. Ooni is perfect.

Soldato
Yep, as SoliD says its a Zanussi.

It has a dedicated pizza setting (upper and lower oven elements), but I dont use that. Instead I use convection + grill at 300 degrees which I'm reliably informed on other forums as the best way to get as much heat in there as possible. I use a heavy 12" cast iron pizza pan left in the oven for 30mins, lift it out, shot the pizza on and return it as quick as possible to the oven.

I've read about some people disabling safety measures on the oven self clean function whichs get extremely hot, but screw that as dont wish to burn my house down no matter how good the pizza may turn out :D

I used to find that the toppings cooked too quick in the pizza settings. Slowly getting my Kamado technique perfected, getting it up to 325-350c and trying not to burn the base has been my struggle so far, another attempt tonight!

Associate
I used to find that the toppings cooked too quick in the pizza settings. Slowly getting my Kamado technique perfected, getting it up to 325-350c and trying not to burn the base has been my struggle so far, another attempt tonight!

Yeah same, I've even on occasion resorted to doing something horrific: toppings UNDERNEATH cheese.

Planning on ordering a Fyra soon :)

Associate
Yes. I've been doing pizza for years on both charcoal and gas weber on pizza stone. The difference now with Ooni is huge. It cooks in a fraction of the time and the texture of the base is exactly as good as any pizza restaurant with no compromise. Stone on weber works well. Ooni is perfect.

Sold! Thanks. Well when they're back in stock anyway :(

Soldato
Starting to prepare my shopping list.

Be good to knock it all off from Amazon...
  • Ooni Fyra
  • Peels, what and where?
  • Fuel, what?
  • Flour, divisive I know but?
Flour, just start with any 00 four or even bread flour. Then as time goes on when you know what you want from a dough you will be able to get a suitable flour.

Peel I use the standard metal ooni one for turning and removing and made 2 out of ply wood so much cheaper than buying fancy peels for launching.

Soldato
Fyra is pellet only, get a Koda or Karu

I use Caputo Nuvola flour
He might want pellets, why suggest a gas only and wood version?
Surely the 3 is still the best all rounder. Pellets or gas. If I could buy again it would be the fyra. I hate gad it goes out fast too easy when it's windy compared to pellets.

Associate
Thanks guys, its extremely unlikely I'd ever go to gas fuel so pellet only options are fine for me.

My main concern is building something to sit the Fyra on. I have a joiner who lives a few doors along so might sketch something up for him to build me something.

Don
He might want pellets, why suggest a gas only and wood version?
Surely the 3 is still the best all rounder. Pellets or gas. If I could buy again it would be the fyra. I hate gad it goes out fast too easy when it's windy compared to pellets.

because pellets are an absolute ball ache and offer no advantage, solved the blowing out prob with gas on mine just by moving the oven to a more suitable location

agree re the 3 as best all rounder, not sure if they still make them though

Soldato
because pellets are an absolute ball ache and offer no advantage, solved the blowing out prob with gas on mine just by moving the oven to a more suitable location

agree re the 3 as best all rounder, not sure if they still make them though
Why do you struggle with pellets they're so easy.

Back
Top Bottom