The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
Really good video just went up from Ooni on the differences between 60%, 65% and 70% hydration.

My take away is that the higher the hydration is better, though more difficult to work with. The 70% crust is what I've been aiming to achieve all of this time.

I'm going to play about with 70% and 5 day cold ferment - setting myself up for failure mind as dont have my Ooni yet and so this will be with my cast iron griddle and home oven :D

For anyone remotely interested, this is my griddle pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001VH5OW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Associate
Probably a silly question! But do the Ooni ovens need a pizza peel? Can you just use some tongs or similar...? And if I do need one, any advantage to the £45 metal over £35 bamboo?

Man of Honour
Probably a silly question! But do the Ooni ovens need a pizza peel? Can you just use some tongs or similar...? And if I do need one, any advantage to the £45 metal over £35 bamboo?
pizza peel yes, but buy non ooni brand. you will get one of each for price of an ooni one. best to assemble and put in on bamboo and turn and get out on metal. loads on ebay etc

Associate
Just picked myself up a Karu from Lakeland with a 20% off voucher my wife got, bargain! Just need a peel and thermometer. Looking forward to getting stuck in and retiring my skillet/grill method.

Man I'm jealous! Must have been in store as website shows out of stock?

15mins ago I've placed a preorder with Ooni direct with a 10% voucher. I couldnt decide between the Fyra (July) or Karu (September!!), the Karu looks better due to stainless steel but it wasnt quite clear if you can use wood pellets with the Karu or if it has to be larger wood chunks!?

Went for the Fyra but doubting myself... hate when that happens...

Soldato
Man I'm jealous! Must have been in store as website shows out of stock?

15mins ago I've placed a preorder with Ooni direct with a 10% voucher. I couldnt decide between the Fyra (July) or Karu (September!!), the Karu looks better due to stainless steel but it wasnt quite clear if you can use wood pellets with the Karu or if it has to be larger wood chunks!?

Went for the Fyra but doubting myself... hate when that happens...

They briefly appeared in stock earlier this week with an end of June estimated delivery. The Karu is coal/wood only or gas with the optional attachment.

Soldato
Nicely done.

Spotted any peels yet? I just cant decide which to go for, obviously both wood and metal as the lads suggest above but so much choice.

I’ve just picked up one of these: https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/pizza-peel

I’ve got a metal peel for taking them out but that looked good for a tenner. They sell flour and things too if you need other supplies.

Associate
So Caputo Blue. vs Red...

Am I right in saying blue is best for a quick prove and red is best for long, cold fermentation?

I'm planning on trying 1KG for Amazon, giving it maybe 4 days cold ferment and freezing in batches to pull out at a later date.

Edit: where is cheapest to find it online?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last weekend I made naan (not that recipe though) and made some home made paneer and did that in a curry with peas. Made a chicken madras as well but the paneer and naan was what i was excited about. Homemade paneer is so good.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom