The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
You can turn it clockwise past the lightning bolt to get into the low zone. There's a dude on YouTube Santa Barbara baker who does a load of videos of the koda 16 which I found really helpful when I first got mine :D

Soldato
fyi - koda 16 mod I'd seen https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61419.220
whether they will fix it in subsequent revisions

Robertm, I too had been thinking about ways to reduce the heat in the corner, as least some. I originally was considering some kind of shield. I then went in your direction, trying to block some of the burner. I finally came up with a very simple and elegant (IMHO) solution. I have already implemented and tested it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet on pizzas. I will take some pictures and report results when I get back in town this weekend.

What I did was find some steel finishing nails that just slide into the holes in the burner tube. I cut a couple dozen of them about 1/4-inch long. Then I just popped them into some of the holes in the burner tube. I only filled every other hole in the corner. so that the flame still propagates around to the left side when lighting. I filled several more holes in the front row on either side of the corner bend to reduce the flame further. Since the nails simply slide into the holes up to the head, it is easy to experiment with fill patterns. And of course it is totally reversible.

It seems to work like a charm: significantly less flame in the corner, and relights even when turned down low and I blow out the flame on the left side. Again, I will elaborate and send pictures this weekend.

Don

Soldato
Cheers for the heads up re the koda 16. Umming and arghing. Anyone on here got a roccbox wouldn't mind wood and gas capability if I do have to spend that much.

Associate
Birthday today and opened up a nice Ooni Karu as a present.

Looks great, very heavy, solid construction and great packaging and instructions. They really show others how to do it - the Apple of pizza ovens!

Now I just need to get a day when there is no fog and drizzle to season it. Looking forward to the first crispy pizza.

Soldato
Mrs Chris and I decided to sort out our Christmas present early, so a Gozney Roccobox arrived yesterday :cool:

Patio gas arrives a week on Monday (I tagged it onto an order for a 47kg propane cylinder for our cooker). Some Caputo Blue has also arrived from Amazon, so need cheese. Never realised you could spend so much time searching about mozzarella!

Soldato
Never realised you could spend so much time searching about mozzarella!
so what is your verdict ?

I have found that the Aldi wet moz, labelled Italian (but I haven't checked it was manufactured there), is dryer than Asda, or JS, alternatives in the 50p'ish segment,
and haven't seen benefit of paying more eg Jodie Shecketers moz.

Soldato
so what is your verdict ?

I have found that the Aldi wet moz, labelled Italian (but I haven't checked it was manufactured there), is dryer than Asda, or JS, alternatives in the 50p'ish segment,
and haven't seen benefit of paying more eg Jodie Shecketers moz.

Cheers - maybe we'll start with a few supermarket samples.

This 2.3kg Arla block seems to get a few recommendations:

https://www.marcoalimentari.com/online-store/ARLA-MOZZARELLA-BLOCK-2-3kg-p130130258

I've seen somebody mention Costco stock it but we don't have a card there, nor one very close anymore. There's people selling via Amazon and eBay but it's almost £25 a block including delivery.

Soldato
2.3kg is quite a hunk of cheese, I maybe put 80g on a pizza .... not sure it is freezeable ? it's barely cheaper,
... on the othe hand their 2kg tubs of mascarapone would be great for xmas cheesecakes

Associate
Any hints or tips for keeping the temp up with a wood fired Karu?

We have had two goes with it and the first pizza is great but, the temperature seems to fall with the subsequent pizza so they take longer and don't crisp as much. I have been putting wood in the keep the flame but the temp still seems to fall to below 400 after cooking two or three pizzas.

Any ideas?

Soldato
2.3kg is quite a hunk of cheese, I maybe put 80g on a pizza .... not sure it is freezeable ? it's barely cheaper,
... on the othe hand their 2kg tubs of mascarapone would be great for xmas cheesecakes

I've read it will freeze (some people seem to grate it first) but not tried ourselves.

Soldato
We're going to treat ourselves to the Ooni Koda 12 gas powered pizza oven! We do homemade pizza's maybe 1-2 times a month, might as well get a pizza oven rather than the standard electric fan oven we have been using!

Just to confirm, these have to be used outside?

Soldato
Evening all? Anyone have any experience in cooking with softwood pellets?

I can get 10kg for not much over £3.

Back
Top Bottom