Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I really love fresh bread and a couple of events have turned me to baking my own. Firstly my local Sainsburys does really lousy bakery bread. It's dense, tastes undercooked and goes stale really quickly. I recently found out that they bring in par-baked loaves and finish them in-store, which explains that. The second event is my local bakery finally closed, which is a total blow to the high-street and all I'm left with is a chain bakery which does average bread at a premium price.

I've been meaning to start a baking thread for some time because I'd had a whole string of baking disasters and wanted some advice. I know there are some keen bakers on here and you'd easily be able to point out where I was going wrong. Turns out a bit of trial and error was all it needed so I could learn what was happening and now I'm ready to start a thread on baking that I can kick off with a picture of my first really decent loaf!

IMG_5473.JPG

It took seven attempts to get it to this stage, which might sound like a lot but getting the right amount of water and yeast, the kneading and proving times and the baking took a bit of trial and error because I'd read so many different ways of making bread. Hopefully I can share the details with you so you can jump in and make a decent loaf straight off. There are just a few tricks here that make it work at home in your home kitchen, with no special equipment.

This recipe will make one 500g basic loaf of white bread in your oven.

Ingredients:

300g strong white bread flour
25g olive oil or butter
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon instant dried yeast
180-195ml warm water

You need two 25cm bread tins, ideally.

The first thing to do before you do anything else, and this is very important, is to turn the oven on at the highest temperature it will go to. This ensures the oven is fully preheated, but the heat from the oven will warm the kitchen and it'll make the bread rise.

You must use 'strong' flour, which has a high gluten content compared to self raising flour, otherwise it'll come out like a cake. I would stick to a higher quality flour to start with, so avoid the basic supermarket brand and use Hovis dried yeast. There may be no truth in doing that but it eliminates the ingredients being to blame if the bread doesn't come out right and you can concentrate on your method.

Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter or olive oil, mix in the salt and yeast. Tip in the warm water and mix everything together with your fingers. You should have quite a sticky dough that sticks to your hands and fingers at this stage.

Now you have to knead the dough. This works the water into the flour and stretches the gluten. It's this stage that determines how springy and stretchy your bread is. If you don't knead it the dough will rise but the bread will have a texture like a sponge cake rather than springy and stretchy. You have a choice how you knead it. If you choose to knead it by hand then you should do it on a smooth surface for a minimum of 10 minutes, 12 is better. My hand mixer has a pair of dough hooks which I thought would be rubbish, but it's a lot easier and you can let it do its work for about 7 minutes.

After kneading, the dough is much smoother in texture, less sticky and it starts to feel rubbery instead. Put it back in the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave it on the worktop near the oven for 30-40 minutes. You'll see it rise in this time, increasing between 1.5 and 2 times its original size depending how warm the kitchen is. The clingfilm is important here. It stops the dough drying out and traps heat in the bowl, which dough likes when rising.

Take a 25cm long bread tin, grease it with butter and carefully scoop the risen dough into the tin. Push it into the corners trying not to knock too much of the air out of it. It should fill the tin up to about half way and although scooping the dough into the tin will have knocked it back a bit, we're going to re-rise it to get the volume back up. The kitchen should be nice and warm and humid now, perfect conditions.

Put the other bread tin on top so the dough can rise into it and stand it on the worktop near the oven, as before. Leave it for 45 minutes to an hour and the dough will have risen above the top of the tin. Once it's that big it's ready to bake. If it hasn't risen high enough then just leave it longer; it will rise but if it's not warm enough it may need another half an hour or so.

I've found this second rise is what's needed to stop the bread tasting yeasty. So while you could put it straight in the tin and rise it in one go, I think it tastes better if you do two rises.

Take off the top tin, heavily dust the top of the dough with bread flour and put it in the oven. Bake it at top temperature in the oven for 12 minutes and you'll see the crust will go very dark, turn the oven off completely and let it sit for a further 10 minutes to bake all the way through. Take it out, allow to cool for a few minutes and put it on a wire rack to cool completely. You should have a nice crusty loaf with a soft interior full of bubbles that slices easily like this:

IMG_5475.JPG

Cost:
Flour: 25p
Other ingredients: negligible.
Power: 250W mixing for 10 mins = 0.5p, 3000W oven for 2 hrs = 75p approx.
Total cost: max £1.

Ok bakers, now it's your turn. Tell us about your baking!

Last edited:
Soldato
No what it needs is some black forest oak smoked ham, some cheese and English mustard,

Mmmmmmm need some food now, may have a bash at this, love home cooked bread and the smell is like heaven should be!

Man of Honour
Lovely!

My parents make their own bread too - uber tasty goodness!

This is why I don't buy bread in this country any more, the breads are so so poor from the supermarkets, and mass produced breads like Hovis are dreadful.

Soldato
I really need to get back to baking, I used to make bread every week. Sadly some weeks I just didn't have enough time to do it properly and I'd **** it up.

I think now is the time to have another go.

Has anyone managed to find the Raymond Blanc's bread recipe using a Rye starter.

Soldato
Damn it im off to the supermarket for supply's, will report back shortly!

Before i leave, have no bread tins so im thinking crusty buns!!!! how big for these things expand during the prooving and cooking process?

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone has their own way of making bread & there are loads of diferent types so there's no real right or wrong way. I would like to add a few bits to Jonny's excellent post however.

Fat & sugar aren't essential in the recipe. The yeast should get enough food from the flour to do without the sugar & while the fat/oil helps to soften the bread and is an important part of some doughs, for a normal dough you can easily do without.

Having the room warm cannot be stressed enough. If it's a cold day then you'll need that oven on full whack to get the heat going for the proving & rising - or you could use the airing cupboard!

If you want a light loaf but without massive air holes in each slice you'll need to knock it back before it rises & give your loaf a 'spine'. this means folding the proved dough to provide structure before it rises in the tin or to it's final shape.

Humidity in the oven is essential for a crisp crust. Either put a dish of water at the bottom or use a fine water mist spray about half way through the cooking time.

I can't remember the measurements but here's the technique I use for hand made bread.

Strong flour
Yeast
Salt
Water

Mix together & begin kneading. How you knead is up to you; dough hook(s), the classic fold & turn or a lift & fold*. When you have a soft & smooth texture, form it into a loose ball & leave it in the bowl covered with a tea towel to prove for about an hour. As Jonny says, it will grow!

Scoop it out & knock it back a bit, flattening it out with your fist or the heel of your hand. This tightens the structure for the second rise. Fold one side of the dough over past the middle & firm it in with your fingers, then fold the other side into the centre of the first fold. Turn it over & pat it into shape for your tin before dropping it into your greased tin. Pushing it in isn;t becessary as it'll find it's way as it rises. Drape a tea towel over & leave to rise for an hour or so until it's doubled in size.

Cut the top with a razor blade if you want to make it fancy & bung it in the oven. About half way through open the door & spray in a mist of water (not at the bread just into the oven) this will develop a crisp crust.

*I learned this from a chap called Peter Bertinet. He has a great book called simply 'Dough' which will tell you everything you need about bread making.

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn it im off to the supermarket for supply's, will report back shortly!

Before i leave, have no bread tins so im thinking crusty buns!!!! how big for these things expand during the prooving and cooking process?

Got a baking tray? Just shape it into a bloomer & bake it on the upturned tray (fold a spine into it as describe in my other post). A baking stone is better, any stone will do as long as it's clean, flat & will fit in your oven!

Soldato
I always make my own bread. Typically use:

500g strong flour (usually 300g white, 200g something interesting)
just over 300ml warm water
15g yeast
15g sugar
5-10g salt

Always knead twice and during the winter let it rise in a warm top oven before cooking at 220C in the bottom. Usually don't use a tin.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what I'm talking about. Great info :cool:

Interesting about getting rid of the big bubbles. I got the oven trick from Bertinet as well. It's a very insightful baking book that.
Cheers. I was put onto the book by my father-in-law, he's done a few of Bertinet's courses & says they're well worth the money. Have you tried the kneading technique? It's odd but it really does work well - quite therapeutic as well!

I haven't worked out a way of covering the dough to stop it drying out if it's on a flat tray though.
An ever so slightly damp tea towel perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom