Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Commissario
The recipe used for the two above was identical, the only difference being that I added an egg wash and poppy seeds which is what would have given it that nice shiny look.

I didn't take any pictures of the crumb/texture from that particular loaf but here's a shot from today, about an hour after it came out of the oven so still slightly warm, made with the same recipe.

l5iVx8D.jpeg

Not the best of pictures because of the light coming in the window but hopefully you can see the crumb.

600g of strong white Canadian flour, 1.25tsp yeast, 2tsp salt, a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and topped up with 360ml of water.

The second prove was in the tin for about an hour and then it was baked at 200°C fan for half an hour.

Soldato
I hadn't realised if the split relates to a longitudanal slash , which is usually how I cut it, too, and, gives more stable slices.
there must be a potential artistic aspect , within the constraints of doing it fast, tip of carving knife is what i use, haven't made a lame.

I haven't tried undercutting.

Commissario
I do struggle with scoring, I've tried that effect previously and the scored part has risen as much as the sides and it's just given a normal dome on top. I had to go really deep there, it wasn't just a quick slash, I sawed my way down at least an inch with a very sharp razor blade.

Soldato
so they are pretty expensive - if they are almond flour as google suggest, bought some the other day at £9/k versus 55p for a bag of flour ...
do they taste like marzipan though, that would be redeeming.

Caporegime
so they are pretty expensive - if they are almond flour as google suggest, bought some the other day at £9/k versus 55p for a bag of flour ...
do they taste like marzipan though, that would be redeeming.

Expensive yes, but we moved on from nut flours (never really mimicked bread as much as people say it did).

These are a combination of vital wheat gluten, oat fibre, lupin flour, and ground flaxseed.

£2.80 for a 600g loaf (which is cheaper than the only similar commercial product that is that is £3.40 for a 350g loaf)

Soldato
sourdough fruit loaf - with Ceylon cinnamom,

learned it is an antiseptic so may impact rise
Cinnamon’s Effect on Fermentation
At high percentage, cinnamon can interfere with fermentation, likely due to its antimicrobial properties

. There are a few techniques I used in this recipe to help offset this:
but its's nicer than mixed spice, that contains some cinnamon too, but often tastes rough.

50428171617_7c001240d5_c_d.jpg

Soldato
:D - one of the problems with mixed spice is that all the ones I can fnd use cassia cinnamon

and, possibly the Chinese one https://www.bonappetit.com/story/types-of-cinnamon
There are three specific types of cassia cinnamon—Indonesian, Chinese, and Saigon—all with different levels of flavor and situations that they are best suited for. Indonesian cassia is the sweetest and most mild of the cassia cinnamons, and is the most common in America. Chinese cassia, on the other hand has a strong, bitter flavor. Chinese cassia isn’t as common in the States, and is mainly used medicinally in China. And then there’s Saigon cassia, which is intensely fragrant and flavorful, almost spicy, and generally our preferred cassia variety.

I had previously stocked up on mixed spice, but now, really, went off the taste,
you go through a $$ supermarket pot quickly in bread, so, usually purchase at Buy Whole Foods Online.

Commissario
After weeks of using a tin, I baked two bloomers today, the first was a little uneven in size but tasted really good. I could see how quickly my family were devouring it so I made another one which I gave an egg wash and poppy seeds.

I've never made a bloomer before, I was very happy with these two.

xkjmxXA.jpeg

0qoeLmH.jpeg

Commissario
I just cheated and bought a breadmaker last week.
I don't think there's anything cheating about a breadmaker, I wonder which one you got?

I bought one last year and it did a great job doing things like this.

Kz9OLTO.jpeg

However.....

If your breadmaker has a dough setting then you might want to have a shufti at that.

I'll let you into a secret :cry: All the bread pictures I've posted above were made by mixing the dough in the breadmaker then taking it out, knocking it back, shaping it and leaving it for a second prove before baking in the oven. It's far superior in looks, flavour, texture etc than anything that can be produced in a breadmaker. We haven't bought a single loaf of bread since getting the machine.

This is a fairly recent loaf using 25% wholemeal flour and 75% white. I normally use an egg wash with poppy seeds but it's nice to have a floured loaf sometimes.

ejYpM5v.jpeg

It's not quite as straightforward as just bunging it in the machine and turning it on, I would say it adds about five minutes work in total but it's well worth the effort.

Caporegime
I don't think there's anything cheating about a breadmaker, I wonder which one you got?

I bought one last year and it did a great job doing things like this.

Kz9OLTO.jpeg

However.....

If your breadmaker has a dough setting then you might want to have a shufti at that.

I'll let you into a secret :cry: All the bread pictures I've posted above were made by mixing the dough in the breadmaker then taking it out, knocking it back, shaping it and leaving it for a second prove before baking in the oven. It's far superior in looks, flavour, texture etc than anything that can be produced in a breadmaker. We haven't bought a single loaf of bread since getting the machine.

This is a fairly recent loaf using 25% wholemeal flour and 75% white. I normally use an egg wash with poppy seeds but it's nice to have a floured loaf sometimes.

ejYpM5v.jpeg

It's not quite as straightforward as just bunging it in the machine and turning it on, I would say it adds about five minutes work in total but it's well worth the effort.

My oven hasn't worked in years..lol otherwise i would.

Back
Top Bottom