Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Commissario
Out of internet, how much are they now? I bought this one in July last year when people were panic buying so I got stung. It's really frustrating because we have a slightly older model stashed away that we just can't find!

I know quite a few people who bought bread makers last year but out of them all, I'm the only person still using it and that reminds me I'll need to top up with flour again soon as I'm getting low.

Soldato
£99 in white, it seems, last one I had was from the ebay panasonic outlet ~£60 , 5 years back; previous one did about 15 years, used about 3 times a week.
I recently found they do develop capacitor problem causing mixing problem , so in retrospect could maybe have fixed it,

paddle sometimes gets stuck in bread, so use a cut down peg that fits in slot to lever it out w/o damaging non-stick surface.
I use it with a sourdough starter.

Caporegime
Out of internet, how much are they now? I bought this one in July last year when people were panic buying so I got stung. It's really frustrating because we have a slightly older model stashed away that we just can't find!

I know quite a few people who bought bread makers last year but out of them all, I'm the only person still using it and that reminds me I'll need to top up with flour again soon as I'm getting low.

Mine was £125 on Prime day, it's £160 normally according to Camelcamelcamel.

The other white one also on sale was more expensive but i think that one has a 1kg tin, mine has a 800g tin.

Commissario
Menu 15 is bake only but I'm not sure it'll work - When I tried it once before, it said the machine was too warm and to allow it to cool down first which isn't much help.

Have you tried just leaving it in for an extra five minutes? The heating element will have gone off but there's a lot of residual heat still in the machine.

Caporegime
Menu 15 is bake only but I'm not sure it'll work - When I tried it once before, it said the machine was too warm and to allow it to cool down first which isn't much help.

Have you tried just leaving it in for an extra five minutes? The heating element will have gone off but there's a lot of residual heat still in the machine.

I have, but not enough. My oven doesn't work so i am having to put it under the grill at times to brown the top! The inside is fully baked but just the top looks anemic. Which has the side effect that as it is not crusty enough out of the tin, when it tip it out, it collapses and instead of a round top, i have a dented top when it hits the worktop.

Soldato
I usually open the lid and slash the top 50mins before end time to get a good crust/blooming, too,
not tried switching between small/med/large loaf that may increase baking time if problem is consistent.

Commissario
I usually open the lid and slash the top 50mins before end time to get a good crust/blooming, too,
I did try that a few times but the loaf grows so much while it's baking that you can barely see the slash!

My breadmaker is exactly one year old today. It's been used 257 times but I don't think I've baked anything in it for at least six months, it's just used for dough.

Here's the most recent loaf which was baked yesterday along with the resultant ham sandwich.

9jAzznG.jpeg

i683JyN.jpeg

Associate
Nobody else bakes bread any more?

This is my 200th loaf since I started last year.

TB6weLV.jpeg

Nice job good crumb, I've been making bread every day for about 2 years now. But I have to admit I use ye ole Panasonic due to consistency reasons.
Menu 2 (Crust dark)
Water 260g (70 °F Important)
flour 420g (Heygates Strong)
Butter 30g (Unsalted)
Measuring spoons!
Yeast 1/2 Tbsp (reduce if overproofing)
Salt 1tsp
Sugar 1tsp
Press go, set timer for 20 mins scrapping down at 19mins, reset timer for another 20 mins let it shape/stop then remove paddle and wait 120mins.

Soldato
Press go, set timer for 20 mins scrapping down at 19mins, reset timer for another 20 mins let it shape/stop then remove paddle and wait 120mins.

interesting strategy - I've never thought of resetting programme, or even ? potential to just bake, and do the rise outside of machine.
turning on the electric oven these days is rather gratuitous in the UK, anyway.

Commissario
@Ad_Augendae Yeah, that is an interesting strategy. Can you post a picture of your baked loaf, I'd like to see it.

I realised I've not posted my recipe.

1 1/2 tsp yeast
450g strong Canadian white flour (I use Marriages)
150g strong Canadian wholemeal flour (I use Marriages)
12g salt
1tsp sugar
20g extra virgin olive oil
380g water (straight out of the tap)

Menu 4 on the Panasonic and hit go. Because it's controlled by a Hue Smart Plug, say "Hey Siri, turn off the bread machine in four hours"

Menu 4 is the wholemeal bake option, cancelling it after four hours allows it to rest and does a good knead.

After the four hours, I take the dough out, very lightly knock it back and shape it into a bloomer, put it on the baking tray, cover with a tea towel and set a timer for one hour and fifteen minutes. When that timer goes off, I turn the oven on to 230°C and set another timer for fifteen minutes.

When that timer goes off, slash the loaf and cover it in an egg white wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds and bung it in the oven, dropping the temperature down to 220°C. Set two timers, one for twelve minutes and one for thirty minutes. When the first timer goes off, turn the oven down to 200C° and when the second timer goes off, take it out and allow to cool.

Perfection :D

Here's two I made a few days ago - It freezes really well too.

fgJzZvu.jpeg

Associate
@Ad_Augendae Yeah, that is an interesting strategy. Can you post a picture of your baked loaf, I'd like to see it.

I realised I've not posted my recipe.

1 1/2 tsp yeast
450g strong Canadian white flour (I use Marriages)
150g strong Canadian wholemeal flour (I use Marriages)
12g salt
1tsp sugar
20g extra virgin olive oil
380g water (straight out of the tap)

Menu 4 on the Panasonic and hit go. Because it's controlled by a Hue Smart Plug, say "Hey Siri, turn off the bread machine in four hours"

Menu 4 is the wholemeal bake option, cancelling it after four hours allows it to rest and does a good knead.

After the four hours, I take the dough out, very lightly knock it back and shape it into a bloomer, put it on the baking tray, cover with a tea towel and set a timer for one hour and fifteen minutes. When that timer goes off, I turn the oven on to 230°C and set another timer for fifteen minutes.

When that timer goes off, slash the loaf and cover it in an egg white wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds and bung it in the oven, dropping the temperature down to 220°C. Set two timers, one for twelve minutes and one for thirty minutes. When the first timer goes off, turn the oven down to 200C° and when the second timer goes off, take it out and allow to cool.

Perfection :D

Here's two I made a few days ago - It freezes really well too.

fgJzZvu.jpeg

Yeah sure, sorry best pic I could get you today as it's half eaten already!
I was also Inspired to slash the top for some strange reason today.....

interesting strategy - I've never thought of resetting programme, or even ? potential to just bake, and do the rise outside of machine.
turning on the electric oven these days is rather gratuitous in the UK, anyway.

I just remove the paddle and let it bake. It just works everytime with no faff

Soldato
getting the paddle out with slicing into the dough is non-trivial -
I've never experimented if the small/medium/large option modifies baking temperature too - since sometimes they come out a bit too crusty.

Associate
getting the paddle out with slicing into the dough is non-trivial -
I've never experimented if the small/medium/large option modifies baking temperature too - since sometimes they come out a bit too crusty.

I can't speak to the size temp button, but I did test the temps on the crust options when looking for a problem with the stat playing up with 1 of my machines which was very tricky to keep the loaves in check. I ended up replacing the ellement and stat for around £20. But the temps vs crust option didn't change apart from the time factor. If you look around you will find a service manual for some models which gives you the service modes for testing calibration etc. ie rise temps and cook temps. Also my old machine cooks darker but I put that down to warping in the case which is leaving a slight gap when closed. It doesn't sit quite flat. I use a great flour called Tornado by Heygates which tends to be soft and gives a nice gold colour vs some other flavours of flour which tend to burn. Makes great Pizza and Brioche buns too.

Back
Top Bottom