Associate
Doing a copper tubing custom loop build into a retro/sleeper style PC and trying to find a full copper CPU block to match my copper Heatkiller GPU block, but cannot find any anymore.

EK used to make a full copper block which looks perfect for my build, but they stopped making it and no one seems to be selling it second hand anywhere. If anyone has one of these they are willing to sell me or knows where I can get one I would appreciate it so I can finish my build! Or if anyone knows of another full copper/bare metal CPU block which doesn't cost loads I would appreciate the info.

Actually, any interesting copper parts, watercooling or otherwise, might be of interest if anyone is aware of them.

Man of Honour
There is a Heatkiller IV Pro all copper cpu block which would tie in nicely with your Heatkiller gpu block. Aquacomputer has the Cuplex Kryos Next in copper and I am pretty sure there was a copper version of the XSPC Raystorm. I can only find the Heatkiller and Aquacomputer in stock though.

Associate
OP
@MikeTimbers I would love to find something like the Little River Whitewater, just for the older/retro hardware look I am kind of going for, but it would need to fit modern sockets to fulfil the sleeper aspect. How does that block perform now compared to modern ones out of interest, or is it impossible to really compare because of sockets?

@pastymuncher Yeah I was aware of the Heatkiller IV an the Kuplex Kyros (couldn't remember their names when I started the thread), but I cannot justify spending 70-80 pounds on what is just a fun build that I will never actually use unfrotunately! Otherwise, you're right the aquacomputer would look great with my GPU block, just annoying expensive.

@RavenLunatic Looking for full copper face blocks really, with maybe silver retention/mounting plates.

Soldato
You can get pure copper ram heat spreaders on the bay, you can also get a number of blocks but solid copper isn’t so likely to be cheap...

I’ve still got some 16mm copper and elbows but not sure what route you are going but you can weld etc for industrial look. Alphacool actually do some copper fittings but few and far between.

The Raystorm blocks are full copper and the retention piece comes off, if you wanted you could replace it with anything cut to the same size. If you strip the bracket back it’s silver metal which could be anodised, looks kinda cool as you see the copper inlets poking out.

Soldato
The Whitewater had a plate that went over the three inlets and had holes drilled for the relevant motherboard socket. It wouldn't be hard to make a plate for any new motherboard.

But how well would it perform? By today's standards it won't compare but it will be within maybe 5C? It was hand-made after all. This will give you an idea.

IMG_2496.JPG

Soldato
The Whitewater had a plate that went over the three inlets and had holes drilled for the relevant motherboard socket. It wouldn't be hard to make a plate for any new motherboard.

But how well would it perform? By today's standards it won't compare but it will be within maybe 5C? It was hand-made after all. This will give you an idea.

IMG_2496.JPG
Halo Jones! Excellent ;)

I've been consider making a block recently, just as an exercise in CNC operation really. Thanks for the peek inside what was considered a great block!

Associate
OP

IMG_2496.JPG

Yeah think I might have crack at making my own plate out of copper if that sounds do-able. Would be cool to have something slightly custom even if it doesn't perform as well. Maybe try and get a cheap copper Raystorm as they look pretty simple to make a retention plate for.

@LuckyBenski Linus just released a video on this a few hours ago actually. Although he had fairly bad results, the homemade block did still work with similar-ish performance to a China brand cheap block.

Soldato
With modern CNC you could make those cross-cuts much closer and narrower, you'd need a wider area as this block was when we all had direct-die cooling because there were no IHS on CPU. I also wouldn't bother with the one inlet/two outlets as it was a pain to route tubing.

Back
Top Bottom