Copy pictures from phone with broken screen?

Soldato
My moto G5 screen is smashed and the battery came out when i dropped so i can't enter the password any ideas on how to move my pictures to my macbook?

Soldato
OP
No windows machine and motorola don't seem to have any software, such a shame just got back from holiday got lots of pictures...

Not sure why it does work as when i plug in the phone Android file transfer automatically loads up.

Last edited:
Soldato
This might sound like I'm just being a d*ck, but I'm actually curious, is there a reason you didn't have them auto backing up?

Unfortunately I'd be a little surprised if you can just plug it into a computer and get photo's off while the phone is locked. I'd be a bit worried if it was that easy for someone to get my photos anyway. As has been said, if they're important, you might just need to get it fixed.

Soldato
This might sound like I'm just being a d*ck, but I'm actually curious, is there a reason you didn't have them auto backing up?

Unfortunately I'd be a little surprised if you can just plug it into a computer and get photo's off while the phone is locked. I'd be a bit worried if it was that easy for someone to get my photos anyway. As has been said, if they're important, you might just need to get it fixed.

Exactly this and I know it doesn't fix your current problem but this is exactly why the Google photos app exists and is about as seemless as it could possibly be.

Soldato
OP
Try plugging in a usb mouse and using that to control the phone
Can't see what I'm controlling the screen is broken.

I was doing a bit of brainstorming, and had an idea.

Does the phone support display out via the micro usb?

You could use it to navigate the display

Not sure good idea will look into it thanks

If you had USB debugging enabled try using Android ADB, command line but slightly more powerful than USB file transfer alone.

https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

Is the screen not showing anything or is it just input which is broken? If you can see something on the screen get a USB OTG cable and plug in a keyboard and mouse?

Not sure if i did will give it ago now

Edit: Didn't work :(

Last edited:
Associate

Says he just got back from holiday and may not have had free wifi or a data plan allowing the transfer to google possibly - but I've no idea really :p Still surprises me how many don't back data up. It's not 'if' you lose your data it's more likely 'when'.

I've got the same issue with a Moto X play - screen completely dead but need to recover some photos.

Can't use usb as you need to see the screen to put it into mtp mode or whatever to transfer files.

From using Moto phones this is the case. Need to confirm on the phone every time you plug it in.

If you send it back to Motorola then ask them not to wipe the phone. I sent one for screen replacement back in the day and they wiped it and installed the already installed latest software version just for laughs :confused: I'd try a high street repairer over motorola or even maybe the tech guys at Carphone warehouse who were surprisingly good recently when I used them - though this was a warranty repair.

Don
From using Moto phones this is the case. Need to confirm on the phone every time you plug it in.

If you send it back to Motorola then ask them not to wipe the phone. I sent one for screen replacement back in the day and they wiped it and installed the already installed latest software version just for laughs :confused: I'd try a high street repairer over motorola or even maybe the tech guys at Carphone warehouse who were surprisingly good recently when I used them - though this was a warranty repair.

I've already replaced the screen myself but still a no go, as think the damage is more severe (some water damage) - looks to be either the screen connector or possibly something else.

X Play doesn't have MHL/HDMI video out, and pretty sure ADB isn't turned on, so think I'm stuffed at recovering this one. Have tried the Micro SD in a reader, which shows some Android/Linux partitions but none of the Linux filesystem readers for Windows would touch it as I'm assuming it was set up as extended storage and thus encrypted.

Already told my sister that she should have had Photo sync turned on :)

Soldato
The Moto G5 should have access to Android photos so all images will be automatically backed up. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything on my G5 Plus for that to become active. After killing that phone due to large amounts of water, all photos were available on my older 1st gen G once I had sorted out the sim.

Associate
I'm not tried pushing anything from the play store recently, but can you install something like Airdroid from the play store?
It might install and be set up to run automatically? then you can control the phone from your pc

Soldato
OP
I'm not tried pushing anything from the play store recently, but can you install something like Airdroid from the play store?
It might install and be set up to run automatically? then you can control the phone from your pc

Issues is the phone is not connecting to the PC I will take to phone repair centre.

Back
Top Bottom