Copy Win 10.

Soldato
I want to use a mirrored disk pair in place of the current single boot disk. What is the easiest way to do this. Can I add a disk and tell Windows to do it? Or do I have to make an image, take disk out put 2 disks in boot from something and copy image. Or can I add 2 disks make them Raid 1 then image then remove single disk. I remember something about it being difficult to retain boot details in the pc.

Permabanned
Do you know what a mirrored raid array does and what it’s used for first of all.

Why do you need to use a mirrored disk array?

just asking as for you too ask may mean you might not even need to have them configured in a raid 1 array.

Man of Honour
I want to use a mirrored disk pair in place of the current single boot disk. What is the easiest way to do this. Can I add a disk and tell Windows to do it? Or do I have to make an image, take disk out put 2 disks in boot from something and copy image. Or can I add 2 disks make them Raid 1 then image then remove single disk. I remember something about it being difficult to retain boot details in the pc.

Just tell windows to do it. In disk management you should just be able to right click and add mirror. As above some reasoning behind a mirror is sensible :)

Soldato
OP
Yes I do know all about it , just a bit out of touch with imNaging tools and how to easily create a mirrored drive. It's replacing a single boot drive in a game server for extra redundancy.

Man of Honour
Will windows create a raid set without reformatting and losing the current Windiws installation?

From experience it simply builds a "clone" on the partition selected. You will not lose your current windows config, or at least that was the case some 5 years ago when I needed to do this on a server.

Permabanned
Soldato
Just be mindful, this is software RAID and is highly prone to corruption, it always has been and always will be. Storage Pools are of the devil but do tend to work, just don't bet your Crypto wallet on it.

If you want to do this properly, you need a RAID storage controller. You can get some good ones for your casual PC builds that utilise PCI-X or PCI-E slots on the motherboard.

For hardware RAID, you'd have to blow everything away before installing fresh to the array, at which point anything that hits the disk takes on your RAID setting, 1, 0, 10, 5, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom