CORE I9 7980XE PRE-BINNED 4.6GHZ Advice

Associate
Hi,

I just got one of these last week for a new build from you guys and I'm having issues with a number of the cores running 15-20 degrees hotter than the others.

With no overclocking Realbench the cores are averaging 45-50 degrees however there are four that run into 55 - 60.

When overclocked the same cores go to 90-100 degrees where as the rest of them sit at 70-75 degrees.

If it's normal then please forgive my ignorance as this is one of my first overclocked builds however if not any advice on what I might try to fix it would be great.

Caporegime
It’s either a poor seating of the CPU cooler or more likely the crappy TIM Intel use.

If reseating the cooler doesn’t fix it then the only thing that will is a delid, which is mental on a 2k chip.

Associate
OP
I re-seated the cooler and the thermal paste is applied evenly and thinly yet the cores are still running hot.

From my understanding the processor was delid'd by 8Pack as that's why I went for it.

I guess it's a RMA then for them to look at it?

Associate
OP
I'm using an EK-Supremacy EVO X99 - Nickel with 2 x EK-CoolStream CE 560 (Quad) rads in a single loop with 3 1080ti GPUs.

The loop is fine temp wise, as are the GPUs and all the other cores are stable on the CPU as expected.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I just got one of these last week for a new build from you guys and I'm having issues with a number of the cores running 15-20 degrees hotter than the others.

With no overclocking Realbench the cores are averaging 45-50 degrees however there are four that run into 55 - 60.

When overclocked the same cores go to 90-100 degrees where as the rest of them sit at 70-75 degrees.

If it's normal then please forgive my ignorance as this is one of my first overclocked builds however if not any advice on what I might try to fix it would be great.

15-20c is a bit extreme although it is a very big chip.

The problem is you have a lot of cores tightly packed and the ones in the centre tend to get hotter due to heat from the surrounding cores especially when overclocked.

Although best to get in touch with ocuk and or wait for a reply from 8 pack to verify.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

I ran the processor through the Intel diagnostics this morning with bios default settings.
It passed first time, second time it froze.

It also froze using the Intel tuning cpu stress test under the same settings.

I've booked a RMA as something is up with it, just a pain as I am in Malta so will take a while.

Back
Top Bottom