Cornering

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Goliath said:
Nicely written DRZ, the only thing I would add is that it's important to get your gear selected and the clutch out before you turn in - just like braking in a corner, pushing the clutch in to change gear mid-corner will de-stabilise the car which is the last thing you want. Also think about where your hands are on the wheel. Do you have the capability to turn the wheel more if it's required, or are your arms already fully crossed? (This is one of the mains reasons IAM and Roadcraft teach the Pull-Push method of steering - you always have to option of adjusting your line)

I knew in my tired state I would miss something out! Yes, I totally agree with you on both points there.

Correct gear selection helps massively with traction, line, stability, everything. Again, this should all be selected before you turn. It is for this reason (and only then) that heel+toe gives you an advantage. You are approaching a corner in the wrong gear and you have a second gear corner approaching - you need to get down the box to second but you also need to brake hard - to do this smoothly is the only time you need heel and toe IMO. If you are needing to do that on the roads, you are going rather quick indeed! Its all about keeping the car balanced and not nailing the transmission at the same time.

Hand position is again, critical. There isnt any time for proper push-pull and all that safe stuff and most of us dont have a very short steering rack so you end up with your arms in a knot, unless you have worked out a way to keep yourself untangled properly, yet keep it smooth. The way I have ended up doing it is to move my left hand to allow my right to safely move (knowing I wont be changing gear) for a left-hand turn and the opposite way for a right hand turn.

So, for a left hand turn this means:

Braking with hands in the 6 o'clock position
Left hand moves up to 11 o'clock, grip and make the turn in with both hands
QUICKLY move my right hand to the opposite point on the wheel so that I can accurately make small adustments.
When unwinding, its just the opposite of that.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Jagen said:
Interesting reading, just a quick note, isn't this back to front?

Nope, think about the camber - its domed, with the highest point in the middle. If you cut the road in half at that point, the road would be sloping up from the left hand side of the road to the edge on the right. This is basically banked "in your favour" when you want to turn left, but against you when you want to turn right :)

Back
Top Bottom