Corsair H150i as Top Exhaust

Associate
Hi all

I have my parts arriving today for a new Gaming PC.

I’ve got an i7 9700k, cooled by a Corsair H150i in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case.

The only place big enough to store the radiator is at the top. I’d assume I’d be best using this as an exhaust.

My question is -

1. If not ideal for the CPU, is this okay to use as an exhaust? Or should I change it to a H115i or different case?

2. If okay, should I be using a push or pull configuration to exhaust the air?

Thanks,
Connor

Soldato
Hi, I prefer to use my rads as intake as they draw cool air over the rad for optimal performance. While this does increase the case temperatures and probably GPU temps too if using an air cooled GPU, it's not by huge amounts. You can always try it one way and then the other and see what difference it makes to your specific setup.

Push or pull makes very little difference.

Associate
OP
Hi, I prefer to use my rads as intake as they draw cool air over the rad for optimal performance. While this does increase the case temperatures and probably GPU temps too if using an air cooled GPU, it's not by huge amounts. You can always try it one way and then the other and see what difference it makes to your specific setup.

Push or pull makes very little difference.

Thanks for the reply. In an ideal world, I probably should have thought properly about this and got one with a smaller radiator - my bad!

Just to confirm it will be alright as exhaust are the top though? Obviously I won’t overclock it as much.

Associate
OP
Why not try the options you have available and see which one works best for you?

You aren't going to hurt anything.

I can do. I’ve just been told that having an intake at the top of the case can mess with the airflow in side as:

1. Heat rises
2. Dust falls

I’m open to suggestions though if you think intake would be okay at the top.

Soldato
Heat rises but is insignificant relative to the air movement from the fans.

Falling dust isn't worth worrying about. It's the dust carried in the air forced through the PC by the fans that's the problem. Does the case have filters?

It'll work blowing in or out. Spending a bit of time experimenting to find the best solution should be part of the fun.

Soldato
should I be using a push or pull configuration to exhaust the air?
Pull exhaust would mean the radiator fins are exposed and air is travelling into them - this makes any dust buildup dead easy to clean. Push config would require removing fans to clean. Still better than a push intake though - then the dust is trapped between fans and radiator AND hard to reach!

Spending a bit of time experimenting to find the best solution should be part of the fun.
This. With airflow and noise, experimentation is key :)

Back
Top Bottom