Corsair MP510 nvme m.2 ssd high pitch noise sound under load

Associate
Hi all,

I built my system back in November and am using a Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 Gen 3 SSD for my OS drive.

The drive is working fine (read/writes etc), however when loading a game with a lot of heavy mods, the drive makes a high pitched sound/noise. As soon as the game has loaded, this stops and the drive returns to being silent again. I have only noticed it in the latter. When transferring large files (2GB+), the drive operates silently; including normal operations (Photoshop, browsing the web etc).

I have installed the thermal pad and heatsink which came with my Asus ROG board.

Is this normal? And is it something to be concerned about?

I have run check disk and error checking with no issues. Hard disk sentinel reports no issues and 100% health on the drive.

Temperatures are all fine (below 47 deg c under heavy load).

Thanks for your input on this matter in advance :)

Associate
OP
Well a google search found others are having similar sounds to me. Again, when the drive is only under extreme heavy load.

Because it is not doing it all the time I am not convinced it is faulty - no BSOD or any faults or crashes suddenly. That and the inital check disk, error checking and hard disk sentinel reported nothing wrong and excellent health.

Seems to be only with my ETS2 game (which has many heavy mods). As I stated in the original post, it stops immediately once the game is loaded. So I can only assume it is considered "normal".

I'll keep you apprised on what Corsair say/advise.

Associate
OP
Oh, don't get me wrong, Tiny Tom (OC3D TV on YouTube) did a fantastic review of these MP510 drives. He compared them to the Samsung drives and they were my choice for the price after seeing his review :)

Soldato
Oh, don't get me wrong, Tiny Tom (OC3D TV on YouTube) did a fantastic review of these MP510 drives. He compared them to the Samsung drives and they were my choice for the price after seeing his review :)
Not seen him in a while
Think he had some family issues /tradegy or something?
Makes a change hearing his name instead of that irritating linus guy lol

Associate
OP
Yeah, he had a family member pass away. Not much of a fan of Linus, nothing but cash trucks sent by Intel reversing up to his warehouse lol.

I've submitted a Corsair ticket this morning so will certainly keep apprised on what they report back.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd give a slight update.

Corsair are in contact. They asked me to record the noise. So I did. I'll leave it here for now if you want to have a listen - you may need to increase sound volume to hear the noise 6 seconds is when it starts (it may get deleted in the future).

I'll keep everyone apprised on this one :)

Associate
That's strange. Never heard about m.2 drives making noise. Do you have any other m.2 laying around to do a quick swap to isolate the problem to that drive?

Soldato
Thought I'd give a slight update.

Corsair are in contact. They asked me to record the noise. So I did. I'll leave it here for now if you want to have a listen - you may need to increase sound volume to hear the noise 6 seconds is when it starts (it may get deleted in the future).

I'll keep everyone apprised on this one :)
Definitely not hearing that from mine under heavy load or otherwise

Soldato
Nor is it my case fans (already ruled them all out). It's certianly the m.2 drive.
The post starter of the other thread also was sure the noise came from the NVME due to it synced with Drive activity and described a hissing noise.

the noise you recorded sounds quite mechanical.

Back
Top Bottom