Corsair Ram from CL18 to CL16

Associate
So I have 4x8gb of corsair ram, two of them being the rgb version and two the normal. They both operate at 3600mhz and CL18. As I have a ryzen processor I don't really need to overclock to high speeds but I'd like to know how to get the timings down from CL18 to CL16. I am a complete noon at this and so please explain thoroughly! Help appreciated!

Associate
OP
No guarantee you can (without dropping the speed to compensate).

Have a Google for 'DRAM Calculator for Ryzen' and go from there.
Also probably a bad time to mention but I'm currently away, I was expecting an online thing where I put in my processor etc... Not a program. I'll download it when I get back!

Associate
Using that program I got my Corsair 3600mhz c18 ram down to c16 still at 3600mhz and even tighter at a lower frequency.
That's with a Ryzen 3700x.

You'll probably struggle with older generation Ryzen.

Associate
OP
Using that program I got my Corsair 3600mhz c18 ram down to c16 still at 3600mhz and even tighter at a lower frequency.
That's with a Ryzen 3700x.

You'll probably struggle with older generation Ryzen.
Okay I am an absolute noob at this. Once I've got my safe preset do I need to go into the BIOS and change some settings?

Associate
Ah okay. I don't know why but I thought that it automatically overclocked my ram. Does using this void the warranty of corsair ram?
I don't know without checking but I doubt it's something they would know unless you told them.
Either way it's probably worth you getting familiar with how your bios works, in particular how it recovers from bad settings. How to clear your cmos if it doesn't recover etc, as these settings aren't foolproof and may cause issues which you should be able to recover from.

Associate
OP
I don't know without checking but I doubt it's something they would know unless you told them.
Either way it's probably worth you getting familiar with how your bios works, in particular how it recovers from bad settings. How to clear your cmos if it doesn't recover etc, as these settings aren't foolproof and may cause issues which you should be able to recover from.
Yeah I've already reset the CMOS so I know how that works. I've googled it and it says you can adjust the timings and speed, as long as you don't go above the maximum voltage which is something like 1.485...

Soldato
I have Corsair Vengeance 3600 cl18 (2x16gb) (with a Ryzen 3700x) which I'm running at cl15 3600. I used DRAM calculator to get started. I didn't import xmp because it gave me really rubbish and unstable timings for some reason, I ended up just manually entering my RAM details then using what it gave me as a base. It's Micron E btw.

Associate
I have Corsair Vengeance 3600 cl18 (2x16gb) (with a Ryzen 3700x) which I'm running at cl15 3600. I used DRAM calculator to get started. I didn't import xmp because it gave me really rubbish and unstable timings for some reason, I ended up just manually entering my RAM details then using what it gave me as a base. It's Micron E btw.
I have the same ram and frequency but at c16 with micron b. C15 felt achievable with a bit more tweaking.

Soldato
I have the same ram and frequency but at c16 with micron b. C15 felt achievable with a bit more tweaking.

Settled at 15-19-14-14-36-58 3600 cr1 @ 1.365 (completely stable)

Honestly, I don't know a lot about tweaking RAM so don't know if it's any good. Could not get the system to boot with trcdrd below 19 (which is apparently common with Micron-e). Also couldn't get the system to boot at cl14 all the way up to 1.38. I know I could apply more power and try to go lower but it doesn't really seem worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Settled at 15-19-14-14-36-58 3600 cr1 @ 1.365 (completely stable)

Honestly, I don't know a lot about tweaking RAM so don't know if it's any good. Could not get the system to boot with trcdrd below 19 (which is apparently common with Micron-e). Also couldn't get the system to boot at cl14 all the way up to 1.38. I know I could apply more power and try to go lower but it doesn't really seem worth it.
Did you enable GDM when trying CL14?

Back
Top Bottom