Council removes Lee Rigby's unofficial memorial

Capodecina
Soldato
Sadly, the Cross of St George has now become the accepted symbol of the EDL, it has nothing to do with the murder of Lee Rigby.

The report, This Sceptred Isle, shows that only 61 per cent of the English said they associated the St George’s Cross with pride and patriotism, 24 per cent of the English said they considered their flag to be racist.

Caporegime
Didn't want to start a new thread, but this is pretty disgusting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45522484

A fundraiser has been jailed for two and a half years after pocketing cash collected for the young son of murdered soldier Lee Rigby.

Gary Gardner, 56, of Medbourne, raised about £24,000 but only £4,000 made its way to any charity, a court heard.

Leicester Crown Court was told Gardner put on three truck-pull events attended by thousands, including Fusilier Rigby's widow Rebecca and son Jack.

He was convicted of two counts of fraud at Leicester Crown Court on Thursday.

The court was told Gardner put on the truck-pull events in 2013, 2014 and 2015 in the Leicestershire villages of Medbourne and Market Harborough, and at Stroud in Gloucestershire, which Mrs Rigby and Jack attended.

Sentencing Gardner, Recorder Helen Malcolm QC said: "There has been an impact on every one of those who volunteered to assist you."

She added: "Not one penny of the sums that you collected have been paid to Jack Rigby.

"I accept all the evidence that you worked very hard. In your favour I accept that you did not set out with the intention to defraud.

"The fact remains that what you did was undoubtedly dishonest. I would say it was indeed despicable."

I wish I knew more about the case, as the Judge says he didn't set out to defraud - but he must have spent the money on himself for some reason.

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread, but this is pretty disgusting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45522484

I wish I knew more about the case, as the Judge says he didn't set out to defraud - but he must have spent the money on himself for some reason.

When fund raising as a charity for example you have a number of undertakings within the trust (AoA) and accounting provisions for allocation of funds. You could generate £30k in donations but overheads mean only £5k is paid to the ultimate cause. However their will be an operationally accounted process reporting this.

In the above instance it sounds like he just spent the money on life and no doubt there were some nominal legitimate costs incurred; but ultimately once he had the money funds were misappropriated.

Without knowing the full details it's difficult to presume any more but clearly at some stage in the process the intention to keep money back became the prevelant mindset.

Soldato
It's a sad state of affairs when your own country's flag is now seen as a bad thing.

Yet the British, Scottish, Welsh etc. flags aren't.

There's unfortunately one reason why that has happened and it's because a lot of those that use the English flag outside of sport, tend to use it for political purposes which we are all aware of.

The problem is that outside of countries like the US, flags don't mean much. And so unlike there where the flag has a clear meaning that is always reinforced and will never be changed by anyone that uses it for a different purpose, it can happen to something like the English flag.

It's why the same type of people in the US have adopted the confederate flag, because the US flag is used by everyone across the entire demographic and political spectrum.

Last edited:
Soldato
i think it's been long enough now, they made the right decision.

of course i suspect perhaps those who made the memorial may disagree and this may end up developing into a cyclic spat between the council and the people putting it up.

Back
Top Bottom