council tax (living with students)

Soldato
seek said:
It's this kind of attitude which really ****** me off.
-If I were to live with students I would be paying the council tax for each and every person in the house, so that they could get a good education. And this is the thanks I get? :rolleyes:
I think the point he is making is - its no secret (nor hard to find out) that if you live with students you have to pay x amount. Your choice and what not. The whole "Im paying so you can get an education" doesnt hold water... as they will (most likely) pay council tax in the very near future.

Soldato
OP
Goksly said:
The whole "Im paying so you can get an education" doesnt hold water... as they will (most likely) pay council tax in the very near future.
Yes but the fact that they'll be paying in the future doesn't change the fact that my wallet's going to be empty in the present because I'm paying their share does it?

Soldato
OP
SidewinderINC said:
you're not paying their share! you're paying your share!

their share is infact £0 if they are students!

Yes but my share is more expensive because students are exempt from council tax. So actually I -am- paying their share, and so is everyone else who pays council tax.

Last edited:
Associate
I work in a college and do whats called as as "Student Certificate" Basically says what course the person is on and when its planned to finish. This is aimed for students to give to there parents to prove that they live with a full time student.

Ross

Last edited:
Soldato
seek said:
Yes but my share is more expensive because students are exempt from council tax. So actually I am paying their share (and so is everyone else who pays council tax).
And on average they will earn more than you (assuming you're not a student/graduate of course), potentially live in more expensive houses and pay more council tax over their lifetime, so by the age of 50 they may well have been subsidising you for a while :p

Suspended
Rich_L said:
And on average they will earn more than you (assuming you're not a student/graduate of course), potentially live in more expensive houses and pay more council tax over their lifetime, so by the age of 50 they may well have been subsidising you for a while :p

so put that in yer pipe and smoke it!

Associate
seek said:
Yes but my share is more expensive because students are exempt from council tax. So actually I -am- paying their share, and so is everyone else who pays council tax.

actually, its the same amount you would pay if you lived there alone with no students, hence why you can apply for single person discount...

soooo, basically, you can live alone and have a nice quiet empty house, pay all the water/electric/tv licence/bleh/etc/whatever all by yourself....or you can pay exactly the same amount of council tax and share with mates who are students.

either way, you would pay the same amount if you lived in the house by yourself....

Back
Top Bottom