• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU always at 99% usage

Associate
Hi I have a ryzen 7 1800x and I overclocked it using the bios to 4ghz. It always runs this speed now and my cpu is always at 99% usage no matter what I do. My FPS is still ok though, but I’m just wondering if it’s something I need to worry about or if it’s just something that’s happens when you overclock it? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Soldato
At idle your cpu should not be at 99% cpu usage?

How are you measuring this and what processes can you see running in task manger?

Can you post a screen shot of task manager so we can see what processes are running when your cpu usage is at 99%.

Associate
OP
At idle your cpu should not be at 99% cpu usage?

How are you measuring this and what processes can you see running in task manger?

Can you post a screen shot of task manager so we can see what processes are running when your cpu usage is at 99%.
im not sure how to post the screen shot, but it says
44% Search
7.1% Desktop window manager
6.5% system
6.2% windows explorer
and thats all the main ones.
doesnt even add up to 99%

Soldato
when you do manual OC, the CPU will lock the frequency at that value and it wont come down even during idle. so in task manager it will always say 4GHz. that is normal.

does your task manager show the CPU under 99% load or are you going by your 99% assertion based on the fact task manager reports 4GHz CPU frequency?

Associate
OP
when you do manual OC, the CPU will lock the frequency at that value and it wont come down even during idle. so in task manager it will always say 4GHz. that is normal.

does your task manager show the CPU under 99% load or are you going by your 99% assertion based on the fact task manager reports 4GHz CPU frequency?
its always at 99% in task manager no matter what im running
but it will give something basic like task manager or chrome 70% usage

Soldato
when you first run task manager it will peak. if chrome is on 70% then there is someting running on chrome that is hogging the process.

if you kill allt he processes, there shouldnt be anyhing using the cpu then it shoudlnt be at 100%...

Associate
OP
Is Your overclock not downclocking to idle ?

Does 99% usage happen if the cpu is not overclocked .

Windows power plan needs to be set to balanced.
Is Your overclock not downclocking to idle ?

Does 99% usage happen if the cpu is not overclocked .

Windows power plan needs to be set to balanced.
It is at 99% not matter what programs I have open, for example if only discord is open discord would take 99% usage of the CPU. I’ll try to reset the power plan to see if this makes a difference, thanks.

Soldato
After using MSI afterburner to measure the usage it now says around 30% most of the time which is normal, weird.

i dont understand why your using all this stupid software to check cpu usage. just use task manager like a normal person:

cpu-usage.jpg

cpu-usage-2.jpg

idle at desktop should be 0% cpu usage. any higher than 1% is down to user error.
did you even check to see whats using the cpu power in task manager?
sure its not windows update or indexing or dot.net framework compiler or even your monitoring software?

Associate
OP
i dont understand why your using all this stupid software to check cpu usage. just use task manager like a normal person:

cpu-usage.jpg

cpu-usage-2.jpg

idle at desktop should be 0% cpu usage. any higher than 1% is down to user error.
did you even check to see whats using the cpu power in task manager?
sure its not windows update or indexing or dot.net framework compiler or even your monitoring software?
On task manger it always says 99% no matter what programs I am running. I still get great FPS and performance though. However on MSI afterburner it says a reasonable usable, such as a low usage when on idle and high usage when in games. In task manager it will say it’s using 70% of the usage for something such as discord or things simple like that.

Back
Top Bottom