CPU Cooler Clearance

Associate
Hello all,

I am thinking about changing my PC case to the Fractal Design Meshify S2 and I will also be getting a beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 to replace my Noctua NHD-15 as I will probably prefer an all black cooler. My question is this: will there be any clearance issues with my LPX Vengeance sticks? If there is could I just raise or remove entirely the fan that might be in the way? My current Noctua has only one fan in the middle of the heatsinks because of clearance issues.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
You should have about 11.5mm of clearance between top of RAM and bottom of fan over your RAM. ;)

The way I figured it out;
LPX Venmgeance is 33.5mm tall with socket raising it another 3mm to 36.5mm above motherboard. Lower side of front fan on Dark Rock Pro 4 is 40mm above top of CPU which is 8mm above motherboard making it 48mm above motherboard.

Dark Rock Pro 4 has notched fins for even more RAM clearance (47.6 + 8 = 55.6mm) and front fan is flush with top of cooler heatpipe caps when flush with notched fins. Fan flush with top plate of cooler puts bottom of fan flush with bottom of lower fins with 48mm of RAM clearance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, and that’s great to hear! If I went with two Vengeance RGB sticks and two dummy sticks which will complete the light show would they all fit?

Edit: Scratch that, I’ve just found out the Vengeance RGB are much taller than the normal variant, so I’ve gone off that idea. Would 4x8 gb sticks of normal Vengeance LPX fit the Dark Rock Pro 4?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you measure how tall your Vengeance RGB sticks are? From motherboard to top of sitck or just stick. I think it will fit no problem, but you should be able to mesure RAM, add 3mm and figure out what it's total height will end up at. I've already given you the normal and fan raised flushe with top of heatpipe caps clearance. Tell you what, you figure it out and post up what you figure out and I'll tell you if you are correct. But I'm not going to spoon feed you by even doing very simple math. ;)

Soldato
I don’t have Vengeance RGB sticks, I just have normal Vengeance LPX, that’s why I was asking.
Vengeance RGB are 51mm tall. Maximum clearance under DRP4 front fan and fins is 55mm as stated in my first post to you.

So they'll fit then - for future reference LPX stands for Low Profile ;)
Actually Vengeance LPX is 1.7mm taller than industry standard DDR4 RAM with just memory modules on PCB .. RAM wiht no phony 'heat spreaders' on it. So while what you say is true in that is what Corsair is leading many to believe, but the truth isVengeance LPX's 33.55mm height is 2mm taller than the DDR4 RAM's industry standard size specification for DDR4 RAM modules. Industry standard is 31.35mm height by 133.35mm long by 1.3mm thick for pcb and 3.9mm thick with memory chips. ;)

There is some ULP (ultra-small size) DDR4 RAM that is only approx. 17.8mm tall. Like below to article about them:
https://tech4gamers.com/ddr4-dimm-memory-and-so-short-ulp-ultra-small-size/

Last edited:
Soldato
Vengeance RGB are 51mm tall. Maximum clearance under DRP4 front fan and fins is 55mm as stated in my first post to you.

Actually Vengeance LPX is 1.7mm taller than industry standard DDR4 RAM with just memory modules on PCB .. RAM wiht no phony 'heat spreaders' on it. So while what you say is true in that is what Corsair is leading many to believe, but the truth isVengeance LPX's 33.55mm height is 2mm taller than the DDR4 RAM's industry standard size specification for DDR4 RAM modules. Industry standard is 31.35mm height by 133.35mm long by 1.3mm thick for pcb and 3.9mm thick with memory chips. ;)

There is some ULP (ultra-small size) DDR4 RAM that is only approx. 17.8mm tall. Like below to article about them:
https://tech4gamers.com/ddr4-dimm-memory-and-so-short-ulp-ultra-small-size/
Indeed, i was quite frustrated to find that "Low Profile" means normal size and ULP is small. I have ULP on a couple of setups as it's all that would fit under the Arctic Freezer Pro 7.

Soldato
Indeed, i was quite frustrated to find that "Low Profile" means normal size and ULP is small. I have ULP on a couple of setups as it's all that would fit under the Arctic Freezer Pro 7.
I hate how advertising industry ignores actual names and standards manufacturers' are required to use in making things, and instead comes up with their own name/words for things.:mad:

but I guess it's because it's all the same as Carny barker's bally to draw in marks from the cake eaters.

Back
Top Bottom