CPU fans, case fans and airflow question

Associate
Hello everyone

CPU: i5 4690k oc to 4.4ghz
Case: S340 https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 evo

My PC case has 2 fans, the top and rear exhaust. I have no front intake fans. My CPU fan is currently facing the rear exhaust because i can't place it on the other side of the heatsink or turn the heatsink around because of my ram. After about 20 minutes of gaming CPU can reach temperatures up to 70 degrees Celsius while playing games like Battlefield 1.

I just need some advice. Should I keep it as they are and just get some intake fans for the front? Or should I move that rear fan and move it to the front for intake. I'm just wondering because one is sucking air in and the other out and they are facing each other.

I'm completely clueless. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Soldato
There should definitely be intake fan or two with case having filters in intakes.
Especially if you have non-reference cooler graphics card then case airflow should be good.
Those fashionale non-reference coolers dump all heat inside cae to warm it and other components.

Also 212 EVO isn't exactly high performance cooler if you've increased volts notably.

Soldato
Will do, one sec

it can only do 1.28v stable for 4.4ghz lmao

Isn't all that rare. There was quite a bit of variance between good chips and not so good. My 4770K needs 1.296v for 4.3GHz stable, and these days I just run it at 1.224v and 4.2GHz.

Anyway, 70C for 1.28v with Hyper 212 on a 4690K with heavy load isn't all that bad. So I'd factor that in while seeking to improve case airflow a bit more. Does the CPU cooler fan not have room to sit on top of the RAM so it can go at the front? Does it hit the side panel?

EDIT: Oh ignore what I said about sitting on top of the RAM. I forgot the Hyper 212 doesn't use the normal metal hinge things (forget the name, clips I guess) which allows raising the fan height. It's fixed plastic.

SECOND EDIT: Still, even with the fixed plastic, is it possible to slide out the fan further towards the side panel?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I got this pc built for me about 4 years ago at a shop. I recently started changing bits and bobs, and I didn't look ahead for these kinds of problems.

I'll definitely get 2 intakes for the front. Should I just remove the rear exhaust entirely then? So 2 front intake fans and 1 exhaust at the top?

Man of Honour
@Xenice looks like you have your rear fan as exhaust, and your cpu fan is blowing the other way too?
if so, you can just change the rear exhaust fan to be a rear intake instead. your temps should drop by at least a few degrees.

3bdWK7b.jpg

Soldato
Looks like you have about an inch of wiggle room (marked with green line in pic below) to unclasp the cooler's fan, change it to the front, and clasp it again on the very edge of the cooler heatsink. As long as it doesn't clash with the side panel. Might sit on top of the RAM nicely then.

n5J1ehJ.png

Associate
OP
Looks like you have about an inch of wiggle room (marked with green line in pic below) to unclasp the cooler's fan, change it to the front, and clasp it again on the very edge of the cooler heatsink. As long as it doesn't clash with the side panel. Might sit on top of the RAM nicely then.

Is it ok if the fan doesn't cover the entire heatsink thingy?

Back
Top Bottom