CPU & Mobo Upgrade - i7 4770k

Associate
Hi all,

After attempting to play AC Odyssey last week I have decided to upgrade my CPU - level of bottle necking was painful to watch!

Some PC parts I have are 7 years old now and are due an upgrade, currently I'm thinking;

- CPU
- Mobo
- PSU

If anyone has any advice on any of these I'd be grateful - budget is £750.
I have my eyes on the i7 9700k based purely on how reliable my 4770 has been, but if someone can convince me otherwise (AMD 3600?) I'm open.

Currently playing at 75hz 1080p (I know)

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.5 OC to 4.5 (2013)
GPU: RTX 2060 Windforce OC 6GB (2019)
MOBO: Asus Z87 Maximus VI Hero (2013)
PSU: Corsair 650w TX Series (2013)
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 (2013)
SSD: 1.5tb Crucial MX500 (2019)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2019)
Audio: Logitech z323 2.1 30w (2013)
Monitor: Acer 27" 1ms (2019)
Case: CM Storm Scout (2013)

Associate
Soldato
I'll have a go, however you can get a FREE AM4 Mounting kit from noctua if you still have the Receipt for the cooler & provide proof of purchase for the board or CPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £716.50 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Associate
OP
@smilertoo @Minibiker @pigeonguyuk @Grimley thank you for your responses - apologies have been doing a clean install of Win10 last few days.

I will need wifi so will probs go for the MAG X570. Will defo get the Nvme thats a great shout and the Noctua mounting kit!
Will go for Ryzen 3600 as can get thta as low as £155 atm.

Can I ask - in terms of Mobo's - do I need to be concerned about physcial space w/my C Storm Scout case (mid) for the X570 ATX? My current mobo VI Hero is an ATX but not sure if the specs have changed much over the years? Can't find size specs for my current mobo to compare.

Thanks all for your help. J

Associate
@smilertoo @Minibiker @pigeonguyuk @Grimley thank you for your responses - apologies have been doing a clean install of Win10 last few days.

I will need wifi so will probs go for the MAG X570. Will defo get the Nvme thats a great shout and the Noctua mounting kit!

Can I ask - in terms of Mobo's - do I need to be concerned about physcial space w/my C Storm Scout case (mid) for the X570 ATX? My current mobo VI Hero is an ATX but not sure if the specs have changed much over the years? Can't find size specs for my current mobo to compare.

ATX is ATX size wont have changed. In regard to the MAG tomahawk, OCUK have sold all 100units they received on Monday already (over 80%) where sold before stock arrived. They are back on preorder but that's not to say a competitor wont get stock not sure how long will take for ocuk to get more in, but due to the popularity im sure they will do their best to restock asap.

Soldato

If you need wifi then why not save 80 quid and go with the B450 pro carbon, not much point in going x570 unless your buying a gen 4 SSD and even then unless you spend a lot of time everyday doing data transfer you just won't see any benefit. The 80 quid could then be put towards a 1tb nvme or a 3700x.
Total: £150.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Don
Associate
OP
ATX is ATX size wont have changed. In regard to the MAG tomahawk, OCUK have sold all 100units they received on Monday already (over 80%) where sold before stock arrived. They are back on preorder but that's not to say a competitor wont get stock not sure how long will take for ocuk to get more in, but due to the popularity im sure they will do their best to restock asap.

Thanks for letting me know; when I was looking on the site it said "pre-order" so thought it might be a difficult purchase lol, @Joxeon good point I'd not spotted the Carbon before - specs look good for a wifi card!

@Armageus I'm just using wifi USB atm - is the card worth it? J

Soldato
There should be a note put up telling people to make sure they have a new win10 installer before getting a new ryzen, i wasted a whole day unable to register windows and new build crashing every 5 mins, after an hour with MS support it turned out you cant install properly with the original win10..it has been depreceated.

Don
@Armageus I'm just using wifi USB atm - is the card worth it? J

Personally USB wifi dongles never worked very well for me in the past - pcie cards and especially those with separate aerials always worked better.

You could continue to use your existing usb wifi, or pick up one of the newer cards - either will give you more choice rather than forcing you to buy a board with onboard wifi.

Associate
OP
Hi all, just realised I've ordered high profile ram (Corsair RGB Pro 2x8GB) when I have a Noctua D14! I feel like I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to solve this at all?

I've had non-RBG build since I've started so this was my first foray into RGB parts so would be a shame to waste it. But would be a bigger shame to chuck my d14 as its a beast cooler.

Associate
OP
Personally USB wifi dongles never worked very well for me in the past - pcie cards and especially those with separate aerials always worked better.

You could continue to use your existing usb wifi, or pick up one of the newer cards - either will give you more choice rather than forcing you to buy a board with onboard wifi.

Thanks, I'll look into pcie cards as they're not particularly pricey for potentially a significant boost compared to dongle wifi.

Soldato
Hi all, just realised I've ordered high profile ram (Corsair RGB Pro 2x8GB) when I have a Noctua D14! I feel like I already know the answer to this question but is there any way to solve this at all?

Do you have the board yet? according to Noctuas website the DH14 is asymetrical. From the centre of the CPU socket to the end of the cooler is either 68mm or 62mm. see here:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification

If not this should fit under your cooler, The thing is if it sits under your cooler & you cant see it light up like a Xmas tree, it kind of defeats the object of having RGB ram. :p

Total: £107.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
Do you have the board yet? according to Noctuas website the DH14 is asymetrical. From the centre of the CPU socket to the end of the cooler is either 68mm or 62mm. see here:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d14/specification

If not this should fit under your cooler, The thing is if it sits under your cooler & you cant see it light up like a Xmas tree, it kind of defeats the object of having RGB ram. :p

Total: £107.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Hey Grimley, yes ordered x570 Tomahawk WiFi. I've returned the corsair ram - no point risking it and as you say it'll just get blocked by my giant cooler anyway lol. Havent ordered another set of ram yet so will check the above one out cheers - mobo will take 3 weeks to come in. J

Soldato
@Ground7even has the Tomahawk mobo actually arrived? If not you could be til mid/end July for the X570 Tomahawk board just FYI mate... OcUK confirmed in this post about the supply delay on that board. I know OcUK got a first small batch for backorders, but not enough to fulfil them.

This Corsair RAM is also £20 cheaper than the above with slightly better timings, if you're still looking.

Associate
OP
@Ground7even has the Tomahawk mobo actually arrived? If not you could be til mid/end July for the X570 Tomahawk board just FYI mate... OcUK confirmed in this post about the supply delay on that board. I know OcUK got a first small batch for backorders, but not enough to fulfil them.

This Corsair RAM is also £20 cheaper than the above with slightly better timings, if you're still looking.

Hey Sparx, no not yet - on the phone to them Thursday and they confirmed I was 12th in the queue and the 10 arrived so I'm 2nd bummer. Almost all the decent £200-£250 amd wifi mobos are out of stock or delayed for weeks so I'll just have to wait - bad time to upgrade.

RE the RAM cheers, decided RBG RAM isn't the best start so I'll just get some trusty vengeance lpx 3600 - cheap and cheerful for now. Upgrade with some RGB fans etc later on.

Back
Top Bottom