CPU/RAM OC

Associate
Hello everyone! I'm trying to push my old system for more as I cannot afford a big upgrade yet. I am new to overclocking and although I have watched various tutorials over the internet I have bumped into some issues.

First, I have an asrock z77 as mobo so I have overcloking options enabled in bios. I have tried to overclock my i5 3750k to 4.2 ghz, but unfortunately every time my windows loads I get system errors and my PC crashes. I have lowered it to 4.0 ghz and it seems to work fine. I was wondering what the problem could be? I have seen that this particular CPU can go up to 4.4 ghz. I have a cooler master 212 RGB black and temperature is not an issue as my cpu at 4.0 ghz always keeps to 35 - 45 degrees on idle and 60 - 80 when gaming.

Second, I have 16GB of HyperX Fury 1866MHz. I wanted to overclock this to 2200 MHz, but everytime I try it my windows does not even load. I have seen suggestions that I have to pull the mobo battery out. I have took it out for half an hour and tried pushing the RAM to 2200 mhz but still the same issue. What am I doing wrong?

Also, do you think it is even worth to try to oc the RAM? I have seen contrasting opinions on this.

Thank you in advance!

Associate
OP
Hi, I left it on auto. What voltage should i put for 4.2 ghz?

I use cpuid to monitor and voltage plays between 1.1 - 1.321

Soldato
Set it to 1.3 and see how you get on, up to 1.35v should be fine but keep an eye on temps though as you don't want to be going much above 80c.

Maybe take the cooler off and re-paste if this hasn't been done in a few years.

Associate
OP
Set it to 1.3 and see how you get on, up to 1.35v should be fine but keep an eye on temps though as you don't want to be going much above 80c.

Maybe take the cooler off and re-paste if this hasn't been done in a few years.

I have actually re pasted my CPU yesterday with arctic. I have tried to look for CPU voltage or Vcore voltage, but i cannot seem to find it? Which one of these options is it?

https://ibb.co/wS00xX2

https://ibb.co/ZHTpyRH
ZHTpyRH

a>

Just overclock the cpu first leave the ram.

will do that, thanks

Associate
OP
Make sure all power saving options are disaBled and set load line cal to 3.

Does your motherboard have auto oc profiles, my arsrock did.

Try them.

Yes, im running one of those profiles at 4.0 ghz, and tried to do the same with the 4.2ghz. I will set load line to 3; power saving is also disabled. how about the voltage?

Associate
OP
Change cpu voltage to fixed and then you should have more options
Yes but i do not understand how, if you check the images i put there is no option for cpu/vcore voltage.

There is no option for that. There is only Cpu voltage offset; also i cannot set load line to 3 (options available: auto, 0% 50% and 100%) ive tried playing with all options in the picture, there is literally no option to modify the cpu voltage; only additional turbo voltage?

Associate
OP
After some googling It seems that the only option to overclock on your motherboard is offset voltages.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asrock-z77-pro3-vcore-option-not-available.329192/

i was looking actually at the same thing plus this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfVwP_Cw6Gs

and this

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition.html#

I have updated bios and some drivers and i have used these settings:

All core: 42
Spread spectrum:disabled
additional turbo voltage offset: +0.078V
Long duration power limit: 300
Short duration power limit: 300
primary plane current limit: 300
secondary plane current limit: 300
Cpu voltage power: offset: -0.010V
Cpu load-line callibration : 50% (i suppose this is lvl 3?)

No crashes until now, running idle at 30 degrees. Do you think i can push it to 4.4ghz with the same settings? The guy in the video oc'ed it to 4.6ghz but im afraid not to implode my chip.

Associate
OP
Keep on temps at max load go as high as you feel comfortable .

Once you have stressed tested your overclock take notes of temps to compare.

So I have downloaded Prime95 and I have started running the recommended stress test, CPU has been running at full 4.2 ghz for some time now with temp at 70 C. I will leave it for an hour to see what happens. If temp will stay constant 70-80C at 4.2, do you think I could increase to 4.4?

Man of Honour
So I have downloaded Prime95 and I have started running the recommended stress test, CPU has been running at full 4.2 ghz for some time now with temp at 70 C. I will leave it for an hour to see what happens. If temp will stay at 4.2, do you think I could increase to 4.4?
Go for 4.3 next but I wouldn't want my temps going over 75c max.

Back
Top Bottom