• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cpu upgrade reinstal windows?

Associate
hi there sorry if this has been asked before or its posted in the wrong place, i am upgradeing from a 3500 winne core to a fx-55 san deiago(due to arrive tomorrow) and am trying to find out if i need to reinstall windows(xp home).iv'e seen on various web pages that you need to do it if you change core type to unlock new features. can anyone conferm and elabarate for me thanks in advance

Mul

Mul

Associate
no, not at all. I went from Venice core A64 3000+ to SanDiego cored Opteron 144 without a reinstall of windows.

Mul

Associate
OP
Mul said:
no, not at all. I went from Venice core A64 3000+ to SanDiego cored Opteron 144 without a reinstall of windows.

Mul
chears for reply ,so you can do this without loseing out at all?

Associate
You'll be fine. Download a copy of cpu-z to confirm that everything has been picked up ok. It'll tell you details about your CPU and RAM.

Associate
only problem i've ever had was changing from a p3 to a 2500 barton (which is quite a big leap hardware wise)

even if you do get issues they can normally be fixed with a windows xp repair install (not a complete reinstall) so you won't lose any data

Associate
OP
great to have so many replys thanks!! i read on the amd forum that if you dont reinstall you wont get any new instruction sets as windows only picks up on them when installing is this correct ?

Soldato
R B CUSTOMS said:
erm, sorry, im not an AMD man, but is that CPU dual core ??
if so windows home dontsupport dual core. xp pro does though
good luck !!

Sorry R B Customs - it supports a single DIE, which can have as many cores as are possible. What it does not support is dual CPU or above (So Home DOES support Dual Core)

Soldato
Andre said:
Sorry R B Customs - it supports a single DIE, which can have as many cores as are possible. What it does not support is dual CPU or above (So Home DOES support Dual Core)
Yup.

Home = One socket, as many cores as possible in that socket
Pro = Multi socket, as many cores per socket.

Associate
|Ric| said:
only problem i've ever had was changing from a p3 to a 2500 barton (which is quite a big leap hardware wise)

even if you do get issues they can normally be fixed with a windows xp repair install (not a complete reinstall) so you won't lose any data

surely that would mean a board change as well ??????

thats a totally different ball game

Associate
OP
hi there just to say thanks to everyone who replyed ,fx installed and running! had a couple of problens but dskck/r helped ,and had to play with memory timings

Back
Top Bottom