CPU Waterblock advice

Associate
Hello,

I've inherited some components to upgrade an aging watercooled rig. I'd like to find out if the existing EK waterblock on my current Core i7 4770K would be compatible with a new motherboard and Intel i7 6950X CPU? I can't seem to find a model number on current EK waterblock annoyingly, but hoping someone might be able to advise based on CPU model?

Thanks.

Soldato
Depends on the block, some come with pre drilled holes for both 1150 and 2011 sockets and some come with interchangeable frames. You'll have to tell us exactly which block it is and whats the current mounting bracket on the block.

Most if not all the current blocks have different mounting brackets for the different socket types as they only have 1 set of pre drilled holes for mounting.

Soldato
A block that fits on a 4770K is an 115x compatible block which also fits on the new 1200 socket but may not fit on a 2011-3 socket which is what your new cpu requires. Many EK blocks can do both but we would need to know your exact EK block model.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback - am attempting to locate the model of the original block. If I find it I'll report back. Thanks once again.

Soldato
Likely is there supremacy EVO: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-evo-acetal can compare to see if visually may be what you have. The other option around then was also the EK MX: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-mx likewise will do both LGA115x and LGA2011-v3.

Was the main model they did around that time. I used my supremacy Evo on a 4790k then 5960x and now 7980XE. However usually the mounting will be different. Your 115x socket likely uses a backplate while the HEDT chips use 4 simple posts and no backplate so ideally would need your box if you kept the bits in there, which would mention block name too :p

Associate
its also possible to be the original Supremacy too. Bear in mind the Supremacy and Supremacy Evo are not interchangeable. I made that mistake and ended up with extra parts costing me more that i wanted. But the mounting will be the same... just internal block design would be different

Back
Top Bottom