Cracked Screen, Cut my losses?

Soldato
I've got a UE55KU6470UXXU and I stupidly cracked the screen whilst putting it back up on a wall mount.

Ironically the TV was already wall mounted, I was just waiting on some longer power cables. They came, so me and the Mrs was putting it back on the wall mount. I pushed what I thought was the bezel to get the bottom of the retention system to clip back in and I managed to press on the edge of the screen and now it has a crack in it, mainly affecting the vertical lines, with some horizontal lines affected.

It's only about 2 inches in from one side, but looks hideous. I've contacted Samsung and awaiting a call back from a authorised repair centre. I'm guessing this isn't going to be cheap, if it's like £200-£250 I might consider as I genuinely really enjoyed the TV itself. I have seen that the panel for it is like £320 online, plus labour, must be another £100+, so I'm thinking that's more realistic.

I've looked at claiming on the home insurance, but that's a £350 excess and considering the unit is 4 years old, I'm not sure how much I'm likely to get back to replace the unit as I doubt they'll go down the repair route. Anyone had any experience?

I've seen the UE55TU8507UXXU for £599 and through work I can get some discount brining it down to £560. So would be a reasonable upgrade for the slight additional cost.

What would you guys do?

Obviously I'm gutted and angry at myself as we only just put this unit in the bedroom after upgrading the main one downstairs! :(

Man of Honour
New telly time, or a s/h replacement of similar quality. The screen is probably 80% of the total value of the TV, so when that's goosed you need a really good reason to go through the cost and hassle of a repair.

Strip the damaged unit and sell parts as spares. The remotes too.

Back
Top Bottom