Crash course car license...

Soldato
Im thinking on taking one to get the whole driving learning / test out of the way instead of the wait.

Ive seen from a couple of mates, spending a fortune on driving lessons that they dont need really. Plus it could take weeks to take the lessons, trying to fit them in with work and at weekends, but thats when really the instructors are usually busy.

Looking around the net for ones in Manchester. Got one that gives you, 20 hours of driving between Monday and Thursday, Theory test and the Practical test. Thats all in 5 working days. Would be ideal for me, take a week off work and get it out of the way.

Associate
Frankly coupling minimal driver training and a golf gti is asking for ditch finding. I would recommend not only a decent set of practice lessons but also pass-plus training and not be so intent on being the oh-so-cool gti taxi for your mates so soon.
It’s a rushed and unplanned purpose like that which finds you a ditch and proves why the government are gonna raise the driving age.

Associate
don't do it!

these usually cost anywhere from £600 -£1000, which is around what normal lessons would cost you
don't believe the hype as they don't have good pass rates
holding all the information needed to be able to drive safely learned in one week is pretty much imposable
shortcuts to driving are potentially dangerous
these places teach to pass the test, NOT drive safely for life
when on these courses you usually have 2 other people in the car with you also learning to drive.

Man of Honour
andy said:
why dont you ?

you do the same amount of hours driving as you would do doing it the one or two lessons a week way

Becuase you have 1 weeks experience not, say, 12 weeks over varying conditions and suchlike.

Soldato
true

anyway i didnt do a "crash" course but i did just do loads of lessons in a week (16ish hours) and then do my test a few weeks later , was the only way i could do it while working away , had to just take the week off and cram lessons in :o

Soldato
andy said:
true

anyway i didnt do a "crash" course but i did just do loads of lessons in a week (16ish hours) and then do my test a few weeks later , was the only way i could do it while working away , had to just take the week off and cram lessons in :o
it's unfortunate that anyone is in a situation where they learn to drive solely from driving lessons
i used to drive an absolute minimum of twice a week while i was learning, including some decent length trips (motorway-less permitting ofc)

as a fresh driver it's all too easy to be over confident

Associate
I didn't do an official 'crash course' as such but i always knew that i wanted my license as soon as possible.
I just called a local driving instructor and told him i wanted a lot of lessons and wanted to get it over pretty quick and he was happy with that.
Had my first lesson on april 5th (2006 that is, my birthday), had my theory on the 7th, had another 16hours of lessons (about 10 lessons), found a cancellation date on the 21st and lucked out and got it first time.

It was pretty fun having my license way before all my friends and passing so quick but would i ever do it again? Definitely not.

It gave me little confidence on the road (as i was driving my own car the day after i passed on my own) and i never felt safe until at least a month or so driving and even then i wasn't exactly experienced.
I actually wish i took more lessons, i didn't want to pass to get from a to b. I am/was totally interested in cars, professionally resprayed one, tuned and rebuilt two 'ground up' and am very interested in the theory of driving, the racing line, excessive oversteer etc. Now that i've learnt to drive too soon i doubt i'll ever have perfect technique due to not having a great base to begin with (learning to drive with regard to awarness etc). I'm now going to take some advanced driving lessons (preferably at the track) to increase my skill.

I don't think you'll ever be a 'great/vgood' driver from learning in a week, average at best. If you do no other driving training after this then i wouldnt want to be near you in a car in the rain.

Now that i'm a year and a half onwards i feel compltely confident as a driver in any fwd/rwd car and more-so than any of my friends of the same age but i think that's solely due to my interest of cars and respect for them. Learning to drive that quick did me more bad then good. Was fun at the time of course though.

p.s i did do a pass plus and didnt feel like it helped at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
i would advise against this ...

personally, i feel you need time to take in the lesson, learn what it can offer you, you need time in between lessons to relax, and think about it all.

as said previously, it doesnt give you any road experience, and basically its like one big lesson.

dont do it, if you failed, you failed for a reason, you wasnt ready.

a lot of people push themselves through on this course, and it really makes them a bad driver

thats just my opinion though

:)

Man of Honour
I want to echo the opinions above in saying that rushing is just not worth it. You will be driving for tens of years, so why not learn to do it properly and gain good experience?

Also driving in fields etc doesn't help except to learn the basic controls.

Soldato
When I was learning to drive a couple years back each lesson was pretty touch going. Used to finish up with a headache and a bit mentally tired.

I am fortunate enough to be a natural with driving and picked it up pretty instantly. I think enjoying driving has a lot to do with this though. So it didn't take me too long to pass and be on my merry way to car ownership and such.

The thought of having to do a week of constant driving lessons is not very appealing. 1.5-2hours per week is a nice amount in mine and my friend's (who is an instructor) opinion.

Man of Honour
If you do intensive courses, make sure they give free Training. This way the training will be good. Intensive training is standard for motorbikes. So can work very well. If you find a good school to attend.

Have a look around. Ideally you want one where you get as much free training as you want if you fail, but you usually have to pay for the test.

the shadow said:
Take u time 2 lessons a week. practice with a friends old car in a field or on private land.

why? In many cases intensive courses are better. Your spending so much time behind the wheel you actually learn things, especially concentration. Than doing two hours a week, which isn't long enough to learn anything in great detail and by the next week you've forgotten half of it.

I've done an intensive motorbike course and done cars at 1 lesson a week. You learn far more and it's much better to do intensive imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom