• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crazy to buy a 2070 just now?

Soldato
As title suggests, Im considering buying a 2070 super, which will cost me circa £400, for a build I have sitting here minus a GPU. With it being likely another month until I could get my hands on a 3070 for not much more money, and my impatient personality, pretty close to hitting buy.

Can somebody please either let me know that I'm not totally insane, or provide contact details for a psychiatric institution near Edinburgh please :p

Associate
The fact that you have to make a new thread asking the question suggests so!

If it wasn't a bad buy, no need to ask, if you were 100% sure you would have hit the buy button already.

Wait for the 3070 or see what AMD are bringing out,should be some really good choice come the end of the month and you'll have no regrets!

Associate
I got a 270x for around £40, seems AMD weren't lying when they said they fixed the drivers, I still have ptsd from when my 280x back in the day used to black screen on my dual monitor setup.

Soldato
OP
Yup thanks guys, thats what I needed to hear. Seems to be a few 1660/1070 knocking about for not much money, so one of those should keep me going until next month.

Always frustrating when you've put a load of time into a build and just want it finished!

Associate
Only issue with cheap GPU's sometimes is gpu accelerated video playback causing freezing when opening a page/video, but this can be disabled in the player/browser.

Associate
When I've just picked up a 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid for £240, £400 is such a bad buy especially when a used 2080 Ti went on the MM not long ago for £400. If it was me get a used 970 for £70 or so oc it and it'll play games at medium/high 1440p. You won't lose much if anything either if you decide to sell...

Soldato
What resolution do you game at @Clum? Would definitely wait for now either for 3070 or AMD will probably have something good at that price point.

Associate
geograph-4332486-by-richard-webb-2.jpg

Hospo.jpg

Hope this helps :p

Associate
As title suggests, Im considering buying a 2070 super, which will cost me circa £400, for a build I have sitting here minus a GPU. With it being likely another month until I could get my hands on a 3070 for not much more money, and my impatient personality, pretty close to hitting buy.

Can somebody please either let me know that I'm not totally insane, or provide contact details for a psychiatric institution near Edinburgh please :p
Buy a second hand one dude not a new one - you’d be stupid to do so, but there are plenty of decent eBay 2070s

Associate
being likely another month until I could get my hands on a 3070 for not much more money
I hope I'm wrong but I think it's actually very UNLIKELY that you could get your hands on a 3070 in another month.specially for not much more money than that 2070.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom