Creaking, knocking suspension in suzuki swift sport

Associate
Any help here would be appreciated folks.

Got an old suzuki swift sport 2007.

It had a broken spring, old droplinks and ball joint, so replaced the lot both sides and replaced the lower suspension arms. The upper spring cup was also replaced due to rust. All the parts were decent brands from GFS or car parts4less.

It was fine for about 2 weeks, but last week I started to hear a knock when setting off, every time. This has progressively got worse, and now the entire suspension creeks (sounds like a spring being pulled around), and knocks when turning at low speeds.

No problems once it gets over 20mph.

The guy who did the work doesn’t want to know, as I bought the parts (trying to save some money). He said that he’s lifted the wheels, and the spring rotates freely so thinks the springs are incorrect - but they were from GFS and the box clearly stated swift III.

Had a second opinion from another mechanic who took it on a test drive and gave it a once over visually without lifting it and couldn’t find anything obvious, but thinks it could be the struts, and wants to replace parts to fix it.

The car is worth £2k max, so I’m not interested in getting a mechanic to start replacing parts willy nilly.

What should I do? I can get a third opinion, but if the mechanics want to start replacing parts that they supply, this could easily turn into a £700 bill if they start replacing struts and springs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input chaps. I can’t pin point where it’s coming from exactly, as it only makes noise when the car is moving not when turning the wheel while stationary. But it definitely sounds very similar to the noise of a broken spring but on both sides. Almost like its not seated and its jumping around when turning.

The top mounts did come to mind based on some googling and watching YouTube videos, but neither mechanics even mentioned them.

I think I’ll go for a 3rd opinion, the top mounts about about £55 and shouldn’t cost more than £80 to fit. What a faff ageing cars are.

Soldato
Something might have just come loose again. I had that with a new droplink after maybe a month. You probably won't be able to wobble it by hand.

I found it by having someone walk alongside while I drove it over bumps (bits of wood) to make it clunk.

Soldato
I'd say there is a good chance something hasn't been done up tight enough and/or the bushes haven't been tightened whilst the suspension is loaded.

Easy first one to try is the drop links. They can appear tight, but sometimes they aren't tight enough.

Soldato
I've got a knocking noise coming from my MK3 swift sport (2012) but mines from the back as far as i can tell, i've had it up in the air, taken the brakes to bits and pried on everything with a bar i can find but can't locate it.

Only thing i can think is your springs are wrong if they're for a MK3 as i think that's the 2012-2018 car like i've got? As the latest 1.4 turbo swift is the mk4.

Associate
OP
Just in case it helps someone in the future, I ended up fitting a new top mount and bearing, and it made zero difference.

Took a punt and bought a can of silicone spray, sprayed it around the lower spring mount, droplink bushes and suspension arm bushes. All noises completely gone.

Both the ARB drop links and suspension arms were new, and perhaps weren’t greased. I’m guessing spray on grease wont last very long, so I will get them properly greased on the next full service.

Associate
OP
I've got a knocking noise coming from my MK3 swift sport (2012) but mines from the back as far as i can tell, i've had it up in the air, taken the brakes to bits and pried on everything with a bar i can find but can't locate it.

Only thing i can think is your springs are wrong if they're for a MK3 as i think that's the 2012-2018 car like i've got? As the latest 1.4 turbo swift is the mk4.

Try spraying some silicone grease on bushes, it might fix it!

Back
Top Bottom