Crohns / ulcerative colitis sufferers

Soldato
Mine was pretty much the same the Surgeon went through the Pro's and con's and then said "But all of that does not matter, If I don't remove your bowel within 48hrs you will be dead". Pretty much decided it was best to go ahead..... lol..

Haha! Talk about streamlining the process.

It certainly made things easier.....

My surgeon was a great bloke very thorough but with a dry sense of humour.

I think this helps massively mate. I appreciate they need to explain the risks etc, and my guy was well respected, but it was a really, really unpleasant meeting. Shortly followed by meeting the stoma nurse etc (who was lovely).

Soldato
This my be insensitive to suffers but I thought asking in this thread as it might give me a better chance of getting some advice from people who suffer intestinal problems.
I don't think I have either Crohns, UC however I am trying to track down an issue that I am having, and yes i have been to the doctor. Her verdict was i am fat.
The sad thing about this is I train twice a week for an hour and run occasionally. I am naturally skinny but my stomach sticks out like a balloon. It is almost always inflated and feels bloated, yet I am not farting or burbing or have any pain or other problems. I can only assume she thinks I'm full of visceral fat.

I want to disagree with my doctor as I feel it's better in the morning and much worse after eating. Is this something that others would recognise? I don't want medical advice I would just like to know what the symptoms that some of you suffer?

Caporegime
I mean you can always get some calipers - are you skinny-fat? Fat deposits can accumulate around the waist I guess.. then again if you're training and are otherwise slim or muscular etc.. then...

I guess with Crohns then yeah, if you get inflammation in your small bowel and/or stricturing then it causes obstructions/can slow the passage of food and make you feel bloated, cause vomiting and ultimately can cause a serious obstruction that results in hospitalisation and possible surgery (granted, majority of the time it resolves itself and if you were at the point where you were getting a bowel obstruction you'd be feeling a bit more than just a bit bloated/fat!).

People with IBS often feel bloated too and that can be very painful when it happens I believe, even though for them it doesn't cause the sort of permanent damage, inflammation us IBD patients get.

I mean if your Dr has run bloods and stool tests and not found inflammation then they're probably not going to just order more expensive procedures like sticking a camera up your bum or going for an MRI etc.. I guess if you were really concerned you could alway go private - they'll have a much lower threshold for checking you over and GPs tend to sing off on the initial referral to see a private consultant quite easily.... tests still need to be justified to your insurance company but unless you're hitting them up for loads of stuff then a consultant saying they want to do a scan, scope etc.. will probs be sufficient.

Soldato
I mean you can always get some calipers - are you skinny-fat? Fat deposits can accumulate around the waist I guess.. then again if you're training and are otherwise slim or muscular etc.. then...

I guess with Crohns then yeah, if you get inflammation in your small bowel and/or stricturing then it causes obstructions/can slow the passage of food and make you feel bloated, cause vomiting and ultimately can cause a serious obstruction that results in hospitalisation and possible surgery (granted, majority of the time it resolves itself and if you were at the point where you were getting a bowel obstruction you'd be feeling a bit more than just a bit bloated/fat!).

People with IBS often feel bloated too and that can be very painful when it happens I believe, even though for them it doesn't cause the sort of permanent damage, inflammation us IBD patients get.

I mean if your Dr has run bloods and stool tests and not found inflammation then they're probably not going to just order more expensive procedures like sticking a camera up your bum or going for an MRI etc.. I guess if you were really concerned you could alway go private - they'll have a much lower threshold for checking you over and GPs tend to sing off on the initial referral to see a private consultant quite easily.... tests still need to be justified to your insurance company but unless you're hitting them up for loads of stuff then a consultant saying they want to do a scan, scope etc.. will probs be sufficient.

I had no tests. She didn't offer me any. I am thinking of going back as it was visiting doctor or whatever they are called.
I'm 6f3 and 15 stone, but I am muscular. I have been training for years so it could be a side effect of excessive calorie intact, but it seems to have levels of bloat so I've personally discounted being skinny fat.
I guess never suffering any side effects other than the look of being pregnant was why she came to that conclusion. I just feel like with my lifestyle to have a stomach protrude so much without inflammation would mean I had a rugby ball size chunk of fat around my organs yet absolutely no where else...

Soldato
I had no tests. She didn't offer me any. I am thinking of going back as it was visiting doctor or whatever they are called.
I'm 6f3 and 15 stone, but I am muscular. I have been training for years so it could be a side effect of excessive calorie intact, but it seems to have levels of bloat so I've personally discounted being skinny fat.
I guess never suffering any side effects other than the look of being pregnant was why she came to that conclusion. I just feel like with my lifestyle to have a stomach protrude so much without inflammation would mean I had a rugby ball size chunk of fat around my organs yet absolutely no where else...

If you are concerned and not happy with what the Dr has said ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist. Have you been checked for a hernia ? My friend had one for years which made him look belly fat.

Soldato
Yes I have plans to purchase one of those allergy tests. I have heard they are less than trustworthy with the results though. I had assume that the NHS would waste money on my own whim.

I've heard - and bear in mind I've never had one myself - that these tests are bogus. No doubt dowie has a better feel for this. But it sounds to me like your perpetually bloated, which could be a sign of intolerance. I personally get bloated when I have a temporary obstruction in my large intestine, but then my wife might get bloating if she has too much caffeine (IBS).

The best way to test this, IMO, is an elimination diet. I'd google this instead of relying on my description, but essentially taking out anything that could cause a reaction e.g. milk, gluten, caffeine and adding them back in one at a time, seeing if they have an affect on you.

I'm (self-diagnosed) lactose intolerant. I believe the test the doctors give you is to drink some milk. **** that!

Soldato
Without wanting to get too medical, I definitely experience bloating with UC and had it worse pre surgery. Like you mentioned, I would wake up without any bloating but it would get gradually worse throughout the day. I'm also slim, 6ft and 12stone.

I did ask my surgeon if my abdomen had a lot of visceral fat after surgery as I was always convinced that I was 'skinny fat' but he said it was at the normal level for someone of my build.

What I don't know is what part of the bloating is related to UC / IBD and what is just normal for your average, well functioning person.

Soldato
Have you guys tried Butterhead lettuce ? I've been trying some the past couple of days and it's been going down without issue, compared to the stir fry which did cause cramps the next day but I'm going to try frying the veg longer next time and use fewer leafy stuff (or maybe replace with Butterhead) so I'm quite pleased with the results as it potentially means that salad although rather basic is back on the menu

Soldato
Have you guys tried Butterhead lettuce ? I've been trying some the past couple of days and it's been going down without issue, compared to the stir fry which did cause cramps the next day but I'm going to try frying the veg longer next time and use fewer leafy stuff (or maybe replace with Butterhead) so I'm quite pleased with the results as it potentially means that salad although rather basic is back on the menu

I like chicory too, raw, grilled or stir fried. It's yummy. I enjoy quite a few cooked lettucey type things :)

You may also find it helps to par-boil some of the tougher vegetables, before stir frying to get some char / caramelisation. You might also want to consider what oil, and how much you're using, as well as what seasonings you've used.

I don't like packet sauces, they've got crud in them you don't need, they're expensive, and don't taste very nice. I like combinations of mirin, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, doenjang, miso etc. The latter two being good introductions to fermented food, something that I found helped me. I tend to stick to organic and good quality, but that's just personal preference :)

What I found most effective is starting with 'known good' foods, and adding things one at a time. As I've mentioned previously, skins and cooking less tended to make things less tolerable.

Diaries, again as I've mentioned previously, work great. It allows you to form a catalogue of foods and preparation / cooking methods that work well for you. And you can begin to build recipes and meal plans once you've got a foundation of well tolerated foods.

This goes for cooking oils, spices, seasonings, dressings, finishes and garnishes too. I found it really helpful to literally try one new thing at a time in the early days, so I could drill down on what was affecting me, how, and if different preparation methods could change that.

It's really satisfying to take some control back, and broaden the spectrum of foods available to you, without the constant worry of repurcussions. Who knows, perhaps the right foods will begin to impact your condition positively.

@Chr0nic We obviously need to err on the side of caution and remain within the boundaries of forum rules. That being said, in your shoes, I'd be going back; bloating, distension and discomfort would be something I'd be unhappy about leaving.

The problem with locum doctors, at least in my experience, is they have a propensity to kick the proverbial can down the road until your regular doctor comes back. Ultimately, if this is abnormal for you, you need appropriate tests; be it blood, stool, allergens etc

I don't think it's productive for a doctor to effectively call you a fatty and send you on your way. That being said, if you are overweight, it's obviously not going to help any underlying conditions, or your general health.

I've certainly pursued private appointments to fast track the process, and if you feel that's necessary then that's what you should do. But given you saw a locum (the very definition of medical pot luck) it mY be worth a visit to your normal doctor as a next step.

Hope you get it sorted, keep us updated fella :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You may also find it helps to par-boil some of the tougher vegetables, before stir frying to get some char / caramelisation. You might also want to consider what oil, and how much you're using, as well as what seasonings you've used.

I don't like packet sauces, they've got crud in them you don't need, they're expensive, and don't taste very nice. I like combinations of mirin, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, doenjang, miso etc. The latter two being good introductions to fermented food, something that I found helped me. I tend to stick to organic and good quality, but that's just personal preference :)

Yeah I've bought another stir fry pack with fewer leafy stuff this time with some edamame beans, going to cook a little longer and I've been using sunflower oil but not a lot just enough to oil the wok, spring onions/chives look like they're back on the menu as well as the Chinese take away style egg fried rice I made yesterday went down perfectly. I'm focusing a lot on Asian & Italian meals so lots of fish/sea food, rice, noodles & pasta so I can include veg that's cooked and actually edible for myself thanks to the sauces otherwise I don't see me having a very healthy diet on this low residue stuff, laying off the spices though just to be safe while I trial foods, don't want too many variables. As for sauces, yeah those packet sauces don't taste very good, always go to the Chinese supermarket for the proper pastes & jars of sauces they use in the takeaway, works out much better value than a packet too

Just wish this camera appointment would hurry up so I can actually get some proper answers and start an effective treatment plan

RxR

RxR

Soldato
I was just reading an interesting 2020 article on how researchers have found a very specific gut bacteria to be the cause of likelihood of needing a resection in Crohns:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-medical-mystery-fat-crohn-patients.html

Presumably, if they can target that specific bacterium effectively it could (is within the realms of possibility) stop or delay one aspect of progression to needing surgery.

Tea Drinker
Don
Infliximab infusion Friday which is working better than any of the other drugs I've been on over the years :), hope I can wind back the azathioprine now but they say I need to take it to stop building up antibodies. Had to have a drive by Covid test this morning before I'm allowed into my infusion.

Have also been asked to join the Clarity study which I said yes to, they test antibodies vs covid vs infusions over six months.

Soldato
Infliximab infusion Friday which is working better than any of the other drugs I've been on over the years :), hope I can wind back the azathioprine now but they say I need to take it to stop building up antibodies. Had to have a drive by Covid test this morning before I'm allowed into my infusion.

Have also been asked to join the Clarity study which I said yes to, they test antibodies vs covid vs infusions over six months.

That's great, glad it's it working so well for you!

I got included on an Imperial College COVID antibody study. I didn't have the antibodies..!

Soldato
Mine was pretty much the same the Surgeon went through the Pro's and con's and then said "But all of that does not matter, If I don't remove your bowel within 48hrs you will be dead". Pretty much decided it was best to go ahead..... lol..

Yeah, i was told the same, even when i was on the mend, ignored the doctors and checked myself out. I'm here 15 years later with all my body parts intact and doing pretty well. UC consultants have this obsession with cutting you up and i was having none of it. I wasn't going to **** in a bag at 28.

Soldato
Yeah, i was told the same, even when i was on the mend, ignored the doctors and checked myself out. I'm here 15 years later with all my body parts intact and doing pretty well. UC consultants have this obsession with cutting you up and i was having none of it. I wasn't going to **** in a bag at 28.

I was in a bad way was bleeding lots enough to make me very anemic. My bowl was just constantly spasming so was in bad pain. I was pretty much out of it physically and mentally. After surgery the Dr said my bowl was so thin that it was likely it would have perforated within days. I think I was lucky really the surgeon was fantastic and could see what was going on. I would imagine if I had left hospital I would have died tbh.....

Soldato
I was in a bad way was bleeding lots enough to make me very anemic. My bowl was just constantly spasming so was in bad pain. I was pretty much out of it physically and mentally. After surgery the Dr said my bowl was so thin that it was likely it would have perforated within days. I think I was lucky really the surgeon was fantastic and could see what was going on. I would imagine if I had left hospital I would have died tbh.....

I guess i was luckly because i was going through the same thing. But the first few days I was on a liquid diet with loads of protein shakes which probably rebuilt my body. It took about a month to get back to somewhat normality

Back
Top Bottom