• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cross fire confusion ?

Associate
right then getting a saphire ati x1900 xt gcaerd cross fire ready (master card i think) then i have read that i can pair it with a x850 gto is this correct ?
also will it only run at the lower card specs than the master card ? like when you have two types of ram in a mobo the slowest takes preferance ?

setup will be:
abit awd 975 board
2gb gskill ram
rapter hd
nec writer
ocz psu 480

any pointers here would be grate :eek:

Soldato
As far as I know, you can only pair it with the same card. So in this case another X1900XT

EDIT: I could be wrong though, I would wait till someone else gives you an answer. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Does the graphics card specifically say that it is a 'mastercard'? - if the card only reads 'crossfire compatible' then it isn't a master version only a slave card.

Also sorry but you can't pair the two cards in crossfire as they are completely different generations of cards (x1900 series - x850 series)

Sorry to put a downer on your plans :(

Associate
If you're gonna go crossfire, i think you're gonna need a stronger power supply than 480watts.

Calum said:
Also sorry but you can't pair the two cards in crossfire as they are completely different generations of cards (x1900 series - x850 series)

Sorry to put a downer on your plans :(

Doesnt that only apply to nvidia cards and SLI?

Associate
I don't think so, that's why you get different types of mastercard - one for the x850 series, one for the x1800 series etc...

But to be honest paying the huge amount for the x850 mastercard, it would be better to just get the x1900xt on it's own and be done with it -much more powerful and cheaper too.

Caporegime
Can only pair it with a card from the same family, i.e x1900 has to be paired with another x1900, x1800 paired with an x1800 etc..., one has to be a master card, other slave. :)

Unless you have x1300/x1600's, and x1800 GT0's as they dont require master cards, so you can just pair 2x normal ones up, but x1800 XT/x1900 XT require master cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom