CrossCode - An incredible RPG experience

Soldato

This retro-inspired 2D Action RPG might outright surprise you. CrossCode combines 16-bit SNES-style graphics with butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, and engaging puzzle mechanics, served with a gripping sci-fi story.

CrossCode is all about how it plays! That's why there is a free Steam demo! Go give it a try!

Take the best out of two popular genres, find a good balance between them and make a great game. That’s what CrossCode does. And it works pretty well. You get the puzzles of Zelda-esque dungeons and are rewarded with the great variety of equipment you know and love from RPGs. During the fast-paced battles you will use the tools you find on your journey to reveal and exploit the enemies' weaknesses and at the same time will be able to choose equipment and skills for a more in-depth approach in fighting your enemies.

Download the demo - http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/

The story takes place in a Virtual Game world called CrossCode, where you play as Lea, the protagonist who lost their memory and the only way to get their memory back, is by searching for it in the CrossCode world.

I don't want to reveal more about the story then that, but what i can say is, if your an RPG fan, played MMORPGs and appreciate Pixel Graphics, this is quite possibly the pinnicle of Pixel Based RPGs. Dare i even say it puts Chrono Trigger to shame in some respects.

Associate
Nice one, thanks for the heads up.

Like chrono trigger & secret of mana but with twin stick shooter mechanics mixed in? Great

Soldato
OP
Like chrono trigger & secret of mana but with twin stick shooter mechanics mixed in?

Pretty much. You can spec how you want, mixture of both melee and ranged, specifically ranged or specifically melee. Throw an elemental (Fire, Ice, Wave and Electricity) aspect into that mix and you have quite a complex and customized combat system. The ranged combat can be at times frustrating, especially (Like me) if your not used to controller aiming.

I feel the game takes the best of Chrono Trigger, the best of Secret of Mana, adds in Zelda combat and tops that all off with a fantastic story and modern tech. The sprites are very nicely detailed and animated.

Associate
Pretty much. You can spec how you want, mixture of both melee and ranged, specifically ranged or specifically melee. Throw an elemental (Fire, Ice, Wave and Electricity) aspect into that mix and you have quite a complex and customized combat system. The ranged combat can be at times frustrating, especially (Like me) if your not used to controller aiming.

I feel the game takes the best of Chrono Trigger, the best of Secret of Mana, adds in Zelda combat and tops that all off with a fantastic story and modern tech. The sprites are very nicely detailed and animated.

Sounds cool. Wishlisted. Any idea what engine was used?

Man of Honour
This is a really awesome game. I've played it since quite early in EA and it has been great each time. Helped me pass the week or so I was incapacitated with a broken collarbone quite well :)

edit: Agreed with LateX'Dog's summary and comparisons to old SNES games. Definitely puts me in the mind of SoM especially, though with far more advanced combat and such. Some of the puzzles can be pretty fiendish too.

Back
Top Bottom