crossfire or nforce - x2 4400 & x1800xt

Associate
Hello,

Very quick question

My new system is based around an Athlon x2 4400, 2 gig of geil value and a X1800XT graphics card. No Overclocking.

Should i get this mobo:
Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-129-AS)

or this:
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS)

Thanks for your opinions

P.s. just to be cheeky, another question if you picked the crossfire, is there any point getting the Sapphire PURE Innovation Gruper Radeon Xpress 200P instead if i Won't be overclocking

Soldato
Well, if you go nforce you will never be able to add another ATI card in as crossfire only works on ATI based boards.

If you are seriously considering adding a 2nd card at some point, then I would wait about a month for the new RD580 boards to arrive which will be giving a boost to crossfire's performance.

If you are sticking with 1 card, go with the Asus A8R.

Soldato
You seem to be bouncing between crossfire, and no crossfire but no SLI.

I would look say here for the grouper. (and the conclusion etc)
You sort of get the feeling that "AMD Enthusiast" = overclocker which I guess means you may be paying for something you don't want.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies.

Bubbysoup - I'm a little confused by what you said.

Did you mean to get the Nforce if i was only ever going to have 1 gpu, and the crossfire/wait for the RD580 if i was considering 2?

Soldato
Hmmm, sorry, I was rushing as I wanted to get out of work and I think I mis-read your title.

When you mentioned crossfire I assumed you were thinking of adding in another X1800 at a later date, now I see you are using the term to describe the ATI based motherboard.

If you are not overclocking, then they are all decent buys. Get whichever has the best features to suit your needs at a price you like :)

Back
Top Bottom