Crosshair VI Hero q code 8?

Associate
So yesterday evening I was using my PC when suddenly the screen went black. Everything was running (well everything apart from the keyboard and mouse as their lighting also switched off) in the case still, all lighting was on with the components just no picture. It also wouldn't switch off via the button on the case (but would switch on with the same button). Only code it shows on the board is 8 (not 08, just 8 on the left side and nothing on the right).

I finished building the system a week ago and it's been running perfectly. There's no overclock on it, all running stock. I've tried clearing the CMOS, flashing the bios to the latest version (moved to 6101 from 3502), I've checked the ram, alternated the sticks, used just one and I'm still getting nothing. No picture at all. I have no idea what this code is as it isn't in the manual and some looking online doesn't clear it up either.

Any help is appreciated as this is my first build and its been nothing but an expensive pain from the start...

Specs:
Ryzen 1700x
Kraken X62 AIO
Crosshair VI Hero
G.Skill Trident Z RGB (16gb @ 3200mhz).
MSI Lightning X 1080ti
Seasonic Focus Gold 850w
Bios version: 6101 (was running 3502 when fault occurred).

Last edited:
Soldato
Press mem ok button to get in? Boots it to bios hopefully and defaults the ram.

Which lights are red on the board also? (CPU, RAM and GPU I think)

Associate
OP
Mem OK button? Never heard of that. And I'm not getting any red lights at all. Only thing showing an issue is the 8 code on the 2 digit readout.

Associate
You might try to add some SOC voltage. Manually to set it up at 1.1. Ryzen is not running memory at 3200 on default even if you have those kind of sticks. It's overclocking and might need a bit more juice.

Associate
OP
You might try to add some SOC voltage. Manually to set it up at 1.1. Ryzen is not running memory at 3200 on default even if you have those kind of sticks. It's overclocking and might need a bit more juice.

I can't even get a picture so, not sure how I'd do that. Screen is completely blank.

Associate
I had few times that my mobo got stuck on a code and nothing worked (but when I was playing with overclocking), only some combination of reset CMOS and powered off PC helped. Maybe take out one stick of memory and try, or try doing BIOS flashback via USB to different version of BIOS. It's a pain but CH6 had lots of flaws which have been sorted with CH7 unfortunately.

Associate
OP
Tried alternating the memory, tried a different bios version with the USB. I honestly don't even know if it's the motherboard, CPU, RAM or something else. Nothing I do changes the situation.

Back
Top Bottom