Croydon

Associate
I dont know, the only other chain in the area is waitrose which is just far too expensive for a lot of stuff apparently unless you are a pensioner. Plus the opening hours are nuts. That tescos is open until 11 even on a Sunday which is very handy.

They are talking about moving the library 50 yards down the road (to the old red lion site) to make it bigger which is great for the area too.

Growing up in addiscombe i knew i could buy food or something almost at any hour. When I started dating the wife who lived in coulsdon it was a real culture shock! I remember driving there one night at about 9 and it was like a ghost town.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I've lived in Coulsdon most my life and it's starting to change massively, just like Purley before it. Stores like Tescos and opening hours such as they bring diminish a small town like Coulsdon. Waitrose isn't much more expensive at all, pretty much a fallicy. And nuts opening hours?? 8.30 till 20.00 most days seems fine to me. If you want to shop so late then toodle off down to Purley. Simply put those type of opening hours and shops don't work in small towns. They change a small quiet town into a large noisy one thereby destroying what once made it so nice.

Anyway sorry, rant over. Back to the Croydon debate!

Associate
I've lived in New Addington all my life and nothings ever happened to me, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. i mean yes there's a lot of very young mothers and children drinking in the street but to be fair you find that anywhere in london and the surrounding counties.

For nights out your best bet is probably tiger tiger yes it is a meat market but has rooms that cater for most people, Lloyds Milan Bar is full of students and young people but drinks are reasonably priced, if your looking for quite drink with friends then The Crown near trinity school is very nice and the wheatsheaf along wickham road isn't to bad.

Soldato
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I've lived in Coulsdon most my life and it's starting to change massively, just like Purley before it. Stores like Tescos and opening hours such as they bring diminish a small town like Coulsdon. Waitrose isn't much more expensive at all, pretty much a fallicy. And nuts opening hours?? 8.30 till 20.00 most days seems fine to me. If you want to shop so late then toodle off down to Purley. Simply put those type of opening hours and shops don't work in small towns. They change a small quiet town into a large noisy one thereby destroying what once made it so nice.

You're right, we'll have to disagree. With Purely down the road and the one at Caterham the only people I see shopping at the little one in Coulsdon are those that live in Coulsdon and Hooley which means more choice and convenience for the locals. For me living in Hooley its a boon since all we seem to have are a vacant cafe, a pink furniture shop, a clock repair and barometer shop, 2 petrol stations, a newsagents, and I think a castle door shop.

Not having to go all the way to Purley means that Coulsdon gets more of my money which also includes the shops around it which I and I'm sure others use also (The Jewellers, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Hardware and Boots mostly).

I could understand if they had built a large one but its tiny and doesn't even have a car park. Waitrose is larger and has a wider selection AND a car park. All the tescos offers is another option and better hours.

Associate
Croydon is like one big dump with a huge Swedish turd curled up in the middle.

I'm never going to Ikea again and am trying to avoid the area in general.

Everyone even drives like tossers around there, with chavs and their fart cannons parping out the back of the cars.

Soldato
I went to school near croydon and now work there. It is certainly a dump. However, compared to some places it's rather pleasant. Try Coventry, not that's a proper hole!

Back
Top Bottom