Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Associate
hey i just ordered two packs of 8x2 (16GB) of crucial ballistix rgb ram 3600mhz cl16 so the total ram is 32gb. is it dual channel or single channel. i assume dual channel is better. thanks

Soldato
hey i just ordered two packs of 8x2 (16GB) of crucial ballistix rgb ram 3600mhz cl16 so the total ram is 32gb. is it dual channel or single channel. i assume dual channel is better. thanks

Also running 4 x 8gb sticks of the same RAM. It should run dual channel, but mine are single rank so yours may be the same. I did read that 4 sticks of single rank is not far behind 2 sticks of dual rank though (performance wise).

Associate
Also running 4 x 8gb sticks of the same RAM. It should run dual channel, but mine are single rank so yours may be the same. I did read that 4 sticks of single rank is not far behind 2 sticks of dual rank though (performance wise).
How do I know if they’re single or dual? Also my current ram is 8x2gb which says dual channel on the box. Might just return my crucial’s and buy another 16gb of my current

Soldato
PhkyQcM.png

The crucial software is running fine for me but have read others are having all sorts of problems with it.

If i am honest though, i wish i had not gone RGB and just got plain black kits. Even turning the RGB off has to be done with the MOD software.

Associate
PhkyQcM.png

The crucial software is running fine for me but have read others are having all sorts of problems with it.

If i am honest though, i wish i had not gone RGB and just got plain black kits. Even turning the RGB off has to be done with the MOD software.
Just gonna stick with my 16Gb of patriot viper ram, get an extra 16gb and return my crucial ram or sell it on eBay if I have to. I regret buying it now, I should get my money back though

Associate
Think i would try returning it first and avoid the bay.
Yeh I would do that only issue is, I bought 2 packs of 8x2GB=16GB ones arrived so will return that but they were sold by Amazon US so will take a while to send back, and also I have to pay postage fees which may cost a lot, not sure how much it would cost, Amazon will give me postage funds back though

Associate
Today I became a Karen and had a shout at Crucial live chat over this:

G183Rg4.png

Earlier in the chat they confirmed the only way to tell if you have dual rank rev.E or single rank rev.B is from the sticker on the modules after purchasing the ram.

I would recommend if you've been skunked with the single rank rev.B, to query it with Crucial support to try and get a dual rank rev.E replacement.

Associate
Today I became a Karen and had a shout at Crucial live chat over this:

G183Rg4.png

Earlier in the chat they confirmed the only way to tell if you have dual rank rev.E or single rank rev.B is from the sticker on the modules after purchasing the ram.

I would recommend if you've been skunked with the single rank rev.B, to query it with Crucial support to try and get a dual rank rev.E replacement.
I’ve returned my RAM now gone back to patriot. Also I have 8GB modules not 16, are 8GB single anyway?

Associate
So this SR vs DR keeps popping up, even seen that laptops are suffering! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CO9v9rpOk

And it makes me think.... is it worth me changing my SR 2x16GB Ballsitix sticks?

It seems 2x16GB Dual Rank sticks are hard to come by, and expensive!

This kit looks great: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html
But at £300 is more than double what my Ballsitixs cost... and its OoS anyway.

So my question is.... would it be worth just buying another set of 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix for half the cost of the above set? Then either run 64GB if the new RAM is also SR. (Thus getting DR like speed?)

Or.... buy 4x 8GB of the Ballisitx at £77 each? Id get the non-RGBs at that point.

Interested to hear from anybody that DID make the change from SR to DR and what difference it really made? The place I can "see" the issue most is my CPU scores on 3DMark are like 2000 points~ lower than what people usually seem to get with a stock 5900x...

Man of Honour
And it makes me think.... is it worth me changing my SR 2x16GB Ballsitix sticks?
The ballistix 3200mhz 16x2 are usually rev e dual ranks and can overclock to 3600 easily.
Ballistix 3600mhz 16x2 are usually rev b single rank (though there are rev e dual ranks floating about)
Cheapest option would be to take a punt on 3200 ballistix

Associate
The ballistix 3200mhz 16x2 are usually rev e dual ranks and can overclock to 3600 easily.
Ballistix 3600mhz 16x2 are usually rev b single rank (though there are rev e dual ranks floating about)
Cheapest option would be to take a punt on 3200 ballistix
I dont really want to faff with memory OCing... Id rather just run 3600 at its XMP profile, than need to get into setting speeds / timings myself and the inevitable stability testing that goes with that.

My question really is it actually worth spending any money going to DR? Does it matter enough?
Is 4x 8GB a 'simpler' cheaper way of getting? (rather than the lottery or hens teeth hunt for 2x16GB DR)

Associate
I have the 3200 Ballistix, does 3600 at stock timings and voltage no problem, 4000+ tight timings at over 1.5v.

I dont really want to faff with memory OCing... Id rather just run 3600 at its XMP profile, than need to get into setting speeds / timings myself and the inevitable stability testing that goes with that.

My question really is it actually worth spending any money going to DR? Does it matter enough?
Is 4x 8GB a 'simpler' cheaper way of getting? (rather than the lottery or hens teeth hunt for 2x16GB DR)

The 3200 Ballistix kits with Micron e die were heavily underspecified from the start. You simply leave everything on them at default, change 3200 to 3600 and voila, it still works.

Man of Honour
As @BallistixOnZ490 says, the 3200 have extremely conservative speeds and nearly all of them will do 3600. Literally enable xmp and then set the speed to 3600 on top of xmp.

I do have both sets 2x16gb (3600 rev b single rank and 3200 rev e dual rank)
Might do a head to head when I have time.

Associate
As @BallistixOnZ490 says, the 3200 have extremely conservative speeds and nearly all of them will do 3600. Literally enable xmp and then set the speed to 3600 on top of xmp.

I do have both sets 2x16gb (3600 rev b single rank and 3200 rev e dual rank)
Might do a head to head when I have time.

Id love to see your comparison. Is the 3600 Single rank and the 3200 Dual rank? Edit: I need to read. You said they are.

So yea, would love to see some benchs between the 2. Esp. running the 3200 at 3600.
Like 3Dmark CPU scores.

Back
Top Bottom