Crucial Ballistix RAM clearence & NH-D15 Cooler

Associate
does anyone know if this RAM:

Competitor link removed

will fit under the CPU cooler without moving the fan up in Meshify C or will the front fan need to be moved up a bit but at least it'll fit?

I've searched around a bit but results keep coming up for Crucial Ballistix Elite or Sports models.

I checked on PC Part Picker and most of the builds have Corsair Vengeance LPX but I've already got the above RAM.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That memory is 39mm high. Maximum clearance for the NH-D15 (without moving the fan up) is 32mm.

If you have room to move the fan up c.10mm you'll be okay. Or run with a single fan, which doesn't make a massive difference.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.

I found a new case P500A which should be out this or next month. Will see if that's under £100, if not I'll be getting 500DX and Rock Pro 4 Cooler instead.

Soldato
does anyone know if this RAM:

Competitor link removed

will fit under the CPU cooler without moving the fan up in Meshify C or will the front fan need to be moved up a bit but at least it'll fit?

I've searched around a bit but results keep coming up for Crucial Ballistix Elite or Sports models.

I checked on PC Part Picker and most of the builds have Corsair Vengeance LPX but I've already got the above RAM.

thank you
Meshify C has 170mm CPU clearance. This is surface of IHS on CPU to case side, so 178mm from surface of motherboard.
Top of IHS on CPU is 8mm above surface of motherboard.
Crucial Ballsistix are 39mm, so 41-42mm from surface of motherboard to top of RAM. RAM stands 34mm above IHS
NH-D15 fins are notched out to allow for RAM up to 64mm above surface of CPU.
Top of RAM is 42mm above motherboard so there is 136mm between top of RAM and case side. (178mm - 42mm = 136mm)

Case would need at least 182mm CPU clearance for 140mm fan to fit over 39mm tall RAM.

NH-D15 cooler will fit, but 140mm fan will not fit over RAM.
NH-D15S cooler is only a couple degrees warmer at most than D15 and will fit giving you more room between side of cooler and PCIe sockets. D15 has centered base so fins reach 75mm center each way. D15S has offset base so fins reach 67mm toward PCIe sockets and 83mm the other way. There are other coolers that cool as well for less money than Noctua.

Both Meshify C and P500A will need better high static pressure rated fans in case intake to supply enough airflow through case. Almost all stock case fans have very low sttic pressure ratings. With good high pressure rated fans no exhaust fans are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
SWhich model Noctua fan? Just remember there is no reason to spend twice as much for intake and exhaust fans when using just intakes cools the same, or at most a couple degrees warmer. The more fans you have running the louder system is. The difference between 3x fans are 4.8dB louder than 1x fan. 6x fans are 7.8dB louder than 1x fan and 3dB louder than 3x fans. Run 3x intakes as same noise level as 6x fans make and temps will be the same, so only time temps will be lower with 6x fans is with fans at full speed.

Meshify C has 170mm CPU clearance. This is surface of IHS on CPU to case side, so 178mm from surface of motherboard.
Top of IHS on CPU is 8mm above surface of motherboard.
Crucial Ballsistix are 39mm, so 41-42mm from surface of motherboard to top of RAM. RAM stands 34mm above IHS
NH-D15 fins are notched out to allow for RAM up to 64mm above surface of CPU.
Top of RAM is 42mm above motherboard so there is 136mm between top of RAM and case side. (178mm - 42mm = 136mm)

Case would need at least 182mm CPU clearance for 140mm fan to fit over 39mm tall RAM.

NH-D15 cooler will fit, but 140mm fan will not fit over RAM.
NH-D15S cooler is only a couple degrees warmer at most than D15 and will fit giving you more room between side of cooler and PCIe sockets. D15 has centered base so fins reach 75mm center each way. D15S has offset base so fins reach 67mm toward PCIe sockets and 83mm the other way. There are other coolers that cool as well for less money than Noctua.

Both Meshify C and P500A will need better high static pressure rated fans in case intake to supply enough airflow through case. Almost all stock case fans have very low sttic pressure ratings. With good high pressure rated fans no exhaust fans are needed.
Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but you appear to be a man in the know!

I'm considering the Lian Li Lancool Mesh II, which has a quoted 176mm of CPU clearance. I'm new to PC building, so is this figure typically from the IHS (top of the CPU)?

Also planning on crucial ballistix memory, so a circa 10mm raise of the front fan would be required. I think I'm pushing my luck aren't I? Maybe I just go with the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX case with 190mm clearance.

Soldato
Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but you appear to be a man in the know!

I'm considering the Lian Li Lancool Mesh II, which has a quoted 176mm of CPU clearance. I'm new to PC building, so is this figure typically from the IHS (top of the CPU)?

Also planning on crucial ballistix memory, so a circa 10mm raise of the front fan would be required. I think I'm pushing my luck aren't I? Maybe I just go with the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX case with 190mm clearance.
Yes, CPU clearance is distance from surface of IHS to case. RAM socket on motherboard adds 5mm to published CPU clearance.

Crucial Ballistix Sport is 32.5mm.
Ballistix Sport is 40mm
Crucial Ballistix Elite is 39.9mm

Case spec of 176mm + top of IHS to bottom of RAM socket 5mm = 181mm) leaves 148.5mm of room from top of RAM to case. Subtract RAM height from that gives you how much room there is for fan over RAM.

Personally I would probably use NH-D15S. it costs less and fin pack is 67mm toward PCIe sockets. NH-D15 finpack is 75mm.

Yes, CPU clearance is distance from surface of IHS to case. RAM socket on motherboard adds 5mm to published CPU clearance.

Crucial Ballistix Sport is 32.5mm.
Ballistix Sport is 40mm
Crucial Ballistix Elite is 39.9mm

Case spec of 176mm + top of IHS to bottom of RAM socket 5mm = 181mm) leaves 148.5mm of room from top of RAM to case. Subtract RAM height from that gives you how much room there is for fan over RAM.

Personally I would probably use NH-D15S. it costs less and fin pack is 67mm toward PCIe sockets. NH-D15 finpack is 75mm.
Thanks for this! I've done a lot of looking at other cases in the past 24hrs, but think I'll just do a complete 180 and go for the Arctic Freezer II 280mm AIO.

Back
Top Bottom