Crusader Kings 3 - Paradox Interactive

Soldato
How are you all dealing with Confedarate partition?

Make sure your primary title is your strongest duchy and only improve the capital county of that duchy. You'll have pressed claims on all the ones you lost, so it shouldn't be too hard to get them back. By the time you hit King level you should have enough men at arms to defeat the levies of any individual duchy within your kingdom, so when you get old (preferably with the Know Thyself perk so you can do it within a year of dying) give all duchies except the one you want to keep to a vassal. That way you only lose a couple of county-level titles to your kin, and with your MAAs you can hoover up anything you want to hold personally.

For example, in my current game I'm King Haesteinn of Brittany (not the original Haesteinn, his great-grandson) and my realm comprises the duchies of Brittany, Cornwall and Wessex (less the Isle of Wight). My own personal holdings are Montaigu and the three counties of Wessex that I hold. Cornwall is already held by a non-dynastic friend, so that's covered, but when I die I will lose the duchy of Wessex and the three counties within it to vassals of my younger sons. I could recapture either Cornwall or Wessex - probably Wessex as I can do it county by county - or I could revoke a couple of counties in Brittany itself to solidify my power base. Either way, England is splintered so I'll be aiming next to clean up the south coast and take London before expanding north.

Soldato
Yep I kept strongest for myself (playing 867 in Iceland with that female cheiftess good learning trait) and only dev'd Reykavik. Yeah I messed up handing over titles to numerous sons before my death wiht "know thyself" not sure what I was thinking there. I hadn't expanded all that much though, was learning the game and trying to not take too much on.

MAAs?

Thanks for the help.

Soldato
I'm struggling with this, think I'm trying too hard to play it like EU4. :p
Oh man exactly my problem! I'm really struggling with the king/dutchy/county stuff. Then having people within my Kingdom fighting with other people within my Kingdom! Then dying and playing another character who might have a slightly smaller kingdom!

I really want to like this but I'm struggling. Totally respect it's an awesome game and I'm the problem.

Soldato
Oh man exactly my problem! I'm really struggling with the king/dutchy/county stuff. Then having people within my Kingdom fighting with other people within my Kingdom! Then dying and playing another character who might have a slightly smaller kingdom!

I really want to like this but I'm struggling. Totally respect it's an awesome game and I'm the problem.

I'm still enjoying it but yeah I kind of get confused when my vassals are warring with each other/other nations and I'm kind of just sitting miffed at the insanity :p

I like it, I think I need a good long play but at the moment life isn't giving me that opportunity.

Soldato
I'm still enjoying it but yeah I kind of get confused when my vassals are warring with each other/other nations and I'm kind of just sitting miffed at the insanity :p

I like it, I think I need a good long play but at the moment life isn't giving me that opportunity.

You need to up the crown authority where they are not allowed to fight other vassals or anyone else unless they have a hook on you.

Caporegime

you need higher crown authority so they aren't allowed to fight.

they can fight people outside of your realm also though and conquer new lands.

Soldato
you need higher crown authority so they aren't allowed to fight.

they can fight people outside of your realm also though and conquer new lands.

Worth noting that you can also modify their contract to allow them to pursue conquests outside the realm regardless of CA, and if you do you can either demand more levies or taxes without incurring Tyranny or you can get a permanent opinion boost with the vassal if you ask for nothing in return.

Soldato
There's a lot of good tutorials on Youtube. I'd played never played a CK game before and I found the guides by ItalianSparticus really helpful.

Soldato
I like the game but tbh the whole inheritance thing is spoiling it somewhat, i've watched a few tutorials online but it's not sinking in. I watched one where he divvied up the Duke of Apulia's (might have been Italian Spartacus) holdings so as to mainitain control after his death and I was just wtf? after 5 minutes.

With EUIV you play to build an empire, the game here is KEEPING hold of what you've built. It's a different twist for someone with 3,000 hours in EUIV. Not sure if I don't just prefer being the omnipotent being, rather than playing a cararchter, then another carachter, I don't get the same investment in being a then b then c for a bit. I still think the ruin of IR lay in trying to throw in the carahcter RPG element into a empire builder, two audiences, two game styles, and to me that was a fundamental flaw and why it never took, alongside the complete lack of depth.

I find the keeping track/managing of carahcters a lot less fun than I do the cities/procinces/states system of EUIV even though there's a lot more mechanics/systems to manage/keep abreast of. That's partly familiarty though.

Soldato
I managed to have a good couple of hour play this afternoon and a lot more sunk in and I had a grand old time too.

I'm playing the tutorial faction but starting back in 867 instead. Got some early gains but I'm now boxed in which is frustrating as the Vikings randomly have gained a lot of territory in Ireland, not quite sure how they managed to get claims but ho hum. I could probably have more but reluctant to betray an ally and I'm cautious so wars where it's in the balance I tend not to lean in on.

My ruler died pretty early but his son, now my ruler, is a dog and I love him :p he's got a bit going on the side with the daughter of the biggest Kingdom in Spain, he's got 3 ******** with a courtier, won 3 duels, poisoned 2 people and he's only 17 and will get married in a few month. He also beat down his bully as a kid and got the wrathful trait :p Love the guy :D

Not sure if I will end up making a success of it but may just cast caution to the wind and launch a big war and see how I get on. I'm raiding a lot but money is a problem so whilst I think/hope mercs would push me over the edge and win I can't afford them.

It's went from a frustrating game I was struggling to engage with to a game I would possibly say I love already.

Soldato
I managed to have a good couple of hour play this afternoon and a lot more sunk in and I had a grand old time too.

I'm playing the tutorial faction but starting back in 867 instead. Got some early gains but I'm now boxed in which is frustrating as the Vikings randomly have gained a lot of territory in Ireland, not quite sure how they managed to get claims but ho hum.

Vikings don't need claims to take a coastal county.

Associate
I've read the comments above about how to get out of the EUIV mentality when playing this but I just can't get my head around it. Any more advice? Do I just need to focus on getting my holding sorted out instead of trying to go after other plots of land right away?

Soldato
I've read the comments above about how to get out of the EUIV mentality when playing this but I just can't get my head around it. Any more advice? Do I just need to focus on getting my holding sorted out instead of trying to go after other plots of land right away?

Crusader Kings has always been more of a role-playing experience than a political game. My advice would be to explore first and optimise later. Whatever your character is best at, lean hard into it and see what you can do. I would say, though, that you want to acquire a duchy if you don't start with one because Duke is the best level to learn at.

Also remember that CK has no win condition and most people don't play to the end date. They play to achieve some nebulous goal, which can be anything from "become Emperor of Britannia" to "install a female Pope", and then they stop. Take that as a learning poisition. Playing half a dozen games for 50 years each is better than playing one game for 300 years.

Soldato

The most important thing is your dynasty and that needs as much, if not more, tending than your lands.

I find you can also do a lot more than just conquer than you can in EU4 and if you miss these elements you spoil your enjoyment but also the effectiveness of your dynasty.

Associate
I was going great guns with most of England and Brittany sewn up, then I decided to seduce and sleep with my brothers wife because it sounded like fun. Things went rapidly downhill from there due to stress and people having hooks in me. Felt pretty realistic in the way I screwed up my own Kingdom!

Back
Top Bottom