• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crysis 2 Gameplay!

Soldato
That video needeth some vsync! :p

The graphics do look pretty sick, I'm kinda stuck now whether to go CF or get a NVidia card for physx...

Soldato
Graphically superior I should think so given. The xbox and ps3 graphics chips are about as powerful as an ati 1950 almost 3 or 4 generations old now

Except that consoles are a lot more efficient then PC’s at getting the best from there hardware. Richard Huddy at AMD/ATI said in one interview about the 360’s Xenos graphics chip that the PC’s main disadvantage was that video cards tend to be about 60% efficient whereas consoles don’t suffer anywhere near this sort of overhead. Now that was about 2006 and since then PC video card performance technology has gone off like a rocket so this drop in efficiency is mute point when comparing PC’s to consoles but it does show you can get more from a console then meets the eye.

Soldato
I'm fairly optimistic about the PC version being as visually impressive and demanding as the first one. From what I've seen on how the engine works, it essentially scales back the PC version in real time to run smoothly on the console hardware, rather than being developed with the console in mind first and then PC lovelies added later.

Soldato
Definitely console footage. Think it looks pretty good taking that into consideration.

Don't know whether will get PS3/360/PC version. Will have to see if PC version allows custmisation of controls for gamepad. Found the default layout a bit odd for the first two.

Will miss the jungle location though. Crysis 1 and Warhead always made me feel like I was on holiday :)

Associate
Please don't forget. We are talking about console resolution which is 720p.
On that resolution even the onboard AMD 7xx & 8xx series can play at that quality.

Not all console games are 720p (See Gran Turismo, Tekken 6, Ridge Racer - All 1080p and 60fps).

And what games are we talking about when you say the 7xx and 8xx series can play at that quality?

Associate
The graphics are good, but It doesnt make you go "wow" that crysis 1 did. Crysis 1 still makes my go "wow" when I play it now.

The graphics should have the same effect on Console owners who never got to see or experience Crysis 1. And surely you can't go "wow" after being blown away by Crysis 1 (at least 3 years ahead of the tech. curve when it came out)???

Associate
It wouldn't be the first game that plays better on a console:).

I wonder whether it will it be a PC port to console, console port to PC, or complete stand-alone developments?

Go look at cryengine 3 videos. The engine has been specifically developed so you can work on all 3 platforms at the same time.

Caporegime
Not all console games are 720p (See Gran Turismo, Tekken 6, Ridge Racer - All 1080p and 60fps).

And what games are we talking about when you say the 7xx and 8xx series can play at that quality?

Not sure about the other two you quoted but Gran Turismo is: "1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 "

Soldato
Thinking about it I believe this game is going to be held back by the fact it's on the consoles as well, I mean the city backdrop is hardly going to be as demanding as the first games tropical island setting and was probably chosen because it will be less taxing for the consoles to render. I think think crysis 2 is being developed for consoles first and PC second, shame.

I don't see why its a shame if this wasnt getting made for consoles it probably wouldn't be made at all. i don't play games on my PC for extra shineys i just play on it because it means i don't have to use a console.
When it comes down to it all the pretty graphics in the world are useless if the game doesn't have decent gameplay, lets hope they can hold it together for a whole game this time.

Associate
One thing is for certain though, rendering a box of building fascia is NOTHING compared to having a whole jungle with plants and trees. Unless they -really- up the ante when it comes to effects, post-processing and models this one will be less demanding then the first game for sure.

- Ordokai

Back
Top Bottom