Curiosity Inspired Long Range Remote Vehicle - a project I want to get OCUK started on.

Soldato
Hi everyone !! *PLEASE READ THIS*

THIS IS AN EDIT OF THE OP, THIS POST IS NOW WHERE YOU FIND INFO TO SIGN UP FOR OCUK REMOTE VEHICLE

Ok, ive made a Google docs spread sheet with requirements, volunteers and kind donators to the project.

People interested or have already put your name down:

1) Go on the document and add your skills, self-defined project role, email and if you like (optional) your real 1st name only.
2) Those that already have volunteered I’ve done my best to add your skills already but add them/edit them.
3) If you would like to donate to the cause please add your OCUK name and donation amount
4) I will discuss with everyone what the best way is to hold the funds and use them to buy components for the project

Im thinking for donators we will add there name/OCUK username to the vehicle or something similar? Like small writing of each name on it as a thank you to the people that will make it possible.

I also have an excel copy of the table should something happen that messes up this google table, but please make every effort to maintain the google docs table properly :)

It has three tables on the spreadsheet - name list - kind donators - rover requirements

Link here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgR462RLR9badEhkQUhscEI1SndGSXZVVmNtNmhuYlE

Thank you !!!! :)

*PLEASE READ THIS*

Last edited:
Soldato
This sounds like quite an enjoyable thing to do, though my knowledge of electrics isn't too great. Although, as for sending data over 12 miles, if the area has mobile coverage you could use a 3G dongle, some how.

Soldato
OP
Ha ok jokes aside most people at 1km altitude are not chavs and like I say I know it’s a risk but im 99% sure it will be fine.

For testing I have a friend who literally lives in the mountains and could use a section of their land to try it all out on :), or if comes down to it just use it on there land.

Soldato
Start with something simple, a basic FPV setup is needed first
http://fpvhobby.com/96-8ghz-micro-combo-set.html
This should do, be careful about the solder pads though! The glue is very weak.

Also there is a huge problem doing this in mountainous regions, nearly all radio/video links will require line of sight. The way to get around this though is by building relays.
So really you need three links on different frequencies
Video
Control
Telementry.

Video you could stick with 5.8Ghz
Control is going to be UHF at least
Telementry, UHF

For control, you could use openlrs & telementry you just need a microcontroller to read the sensors and send them out by serial to a UHF transmitter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ha ok jokes aside most people at 1km altitude are not chavs and like I say I know it’s a risk but im 99% sure it will be fine.

For testing I have a friend who literally lives in the mountains and could use a section of their land to try it all out on :), or if comes down to it just use it on there land.

nothing to do with chavs just this thing is going to be like a grands worth of gear and presumably well publicized.

Also don't forget permission from the national trust.

Soldato
There is lots of tech out there for reasonable pricing that is going into both drones and FPV RC planes. Things like programmable GPS positioning, live video feeds and OSD (onscreen display) with return to home function, altitude, heading, speed etc. all pretty cool stuff.

Check out http://diydrones.com/ for more stuff.

Also check out Ardurover http://code.google.com/p/ardurover/wiki/Overview?tm=6

Commissario
I know nothing about this, nor could I help, but would be very interested in seeing how this pans out.
I'm not sure about letting OcUK members control it though - I would definitely drive it off the cliff (not intentionally...)

Soldato
3G dongle if there is signal up there is obviously the best way to go,

Using the RPi would be an interesting way of controlling things, will keep an eye on this but i don't know if the forums here will contain the knowledge or the interest to pull this off.

Stick a pair of Google glass on it!

Good idea though

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly - borrowing from the RC FPV/Drones lot is the way forward - Ardurover has most of this stuff covered:

APMrover_WPL.jpg

Soldato
I'm useless with.. Well, anything really, but I am really interested in this, so will keep a close eye on - and if something does somehow come up that I can be of use with (You have no idea how bad a mess you'd need to be in for me to be of ANY use!) I'll help out.

Permabanned
"My plan is, to build a small remote control car that can operate from miles away"

Sounds like hes planning a Terrorist attack tbh

Back
Top Bottom